DjangoBooks.com

2009 Peter Zwinakis B-107: my new toy

HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
Hey guys, just bought my first GJ acoustic - A 2009 Peter Zwinakis B-107. This is one of the funky sound port designs. Just couldn't resist as this one had an extra 'something' tonally.

I have yet to hear from Peter for exact confirmation but the back and sides are laminated rosewood and the sound board some kind of spruce. I think the neck is walnut. The sound port is quite cool and LOUD! I'm not sure if it's due to the port, however the overall sound is warmer but still retains good mid-range punch.

It's seen some use but I'll call it character 8) - definitely sounds like it's already opened up. I just can't put it down, my fingers ache from so much playing but I keep going back for more! :lol: It's the feeling/comfort and sound I was after and I feel I got lucky with this one.

I have a fiberglass guardian case on the way from Michael as well as an oasis humidifier/hygrometer.
Zwinakis%20B107_1.jpg

Comments

• Nice work. Did you get that from Buffalo Bros?
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Sure did - nice group of people over there. One of their sales guys is a GJ player too.
  • I almost did that awhile ago until I got one of the Mystery gits from here. As for the "character" (if there are dings, at least you won't sweat putting the first one on yourself. I put a slight one on mine last week and in a weird way, it was almost a relief. So be it if I take it out every week to gig.

Any congrats on the Z. Look forward to hearing it.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! nice axe. GJ guitars are so cool. Didn't know what I was missing until I got one. They seem like best of all worlds... the qualities of classical, steel string flat-tops, archtops and electric guitars...all rolled into one IMHO. They really bring out the music.
    Swang on,
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Beautiful!

I'm exploring sound ports, been reading up on them. Alan Carruth, a classical/steel string luthier with a scientific bent has a paper on the web about his sound port experiments using his "corker guitar" into which he drilled a number of 1" holes in various places and then opened and closed them in various combination using corks. Among other things, he concludes a small port in the 25-28mm diameter range increases volume to the player but causes no noticeable difference to the listener, which I think was his goal.

Big sound ports like the one in your guitar have been around for at least a couple decades. Some of John Monteleone's archtops from the 1990s have multiple large ports with sliding shutters. I'd like to try one of those. Mr. Carruth doesn't have a lot to say about larger ports except to suggest there may be some change in the sound the listener hears, but nothing very conclusive. It is pretty easy to test if already there, just cover the hole with a hand or tape over the hole and compare.

I recently put a 27mm x 36mm hole in one of my older small oval guitars, same place as yours, just a lot smaller. As predicted the sound is indeed louder to the player and carries more bass, but I don't hear a change when I take the listener's chair.

You might want to try some of this with your guitar. Cover and uncover the hole, note the difference and then do the same for a listener about 10' or more away and see what they here. I'd be interested in what you find.

Another common statement by those experienced with sound ports is that while there is a very noticeable change for the player initially, the player quickly adapts to the guitar w/ or w/o the port. The players sense of improvement is short lived. And if the audience doesn't hear it, maybe it is not worth the trouble. Regardless, in the mean time, I'm enjoying the heck out of the little port I have opened up.

Enjoy your new guitar!

CB
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I played that very guitar at Buffalo Brothers just a couple of weeks ago when we were staying in Newport beach! Very warm and balanced sound. They had another Zwinakis there as well that was very different. All top end and no bottom at all. I think you got the better of the two. I wondered if it had solid back and sides, because it seemed heavier than I would have expected, but I liked it alot. I am happy to see that it found a good home. Enjoy!!!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • noahfuturenoahfuture ✭✭✭
    Sweet guitar! I got one myself with no sound port, but it's a killer guitar! Like Ali says, it floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee :lol:
    Well something like that...

Peter is super cool too!
    n
    One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
    -David Mitchell