DjangoBooks.com

Flight Case

Anyone know where to get a good flight case, that's not Calton? I'm looking for one for my Favino sized Rodrigo Shopis. I want something lean and strong like the AJL cases! Where does he get those??
thanks!
n
One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
-David Mitchell

Comments

• tommydavytommydavy ✭✭
    I personally can suggest Accord Case. They are a bit steep in price but are well worth the price for the protection and weight savings. Also BAM case of france makes a manouche guitar case....which are fantastic as well. Not to bash AJL but I have seen a friends guitar break in one of their cases due to the tight tolerances of the design. Somebody please make a decent case replica out of carbon fiber!!!! Thats my 0.2
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    The BAM company does not recommend their cases as flight cases, however, unless used in conjunction with their "Flight Cover." From the FAQ on their Web site:

"Can I put my case in the cargo hold of a plane without risk?

All our cases are intended to give the best possible protection to the instrument for the everyday commute and use. Nevertheless, we do not recommend to put any of them (except for the Flight Cover) in the cargo of a plane since it is a completely different use and risk. Even if our cases offer excellent protection, they are not intended for rough and unsupervised handling*. If you still use your case for air travel, please remember to protect it with thick layers of bubble-packaging for example, before gate-checking it.

* Our warranty does not apply for damages occurred in such circumstances. Should you meet such problems, we advise you to file a claim with the airline company right away."
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • noahfuturenoahfuture ✭✭✭
    Thanks fellas! I'm scheming on a Hoffee or possibly just going nuts and getting an accord! They are so rad looking!

Yeah, if anyone is reading this, I'd think twice before sending Calton a big ol check. I've heard they are under new management so maybe that's the deal. If anyone at Calton reads this, if you really did make my case, I'll still buy it! Just gotta contact me back.

thanks
    n
    One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
    -David Mitchell
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    First I've ever heard of the Hoffee cases. They look really nice.

One more thing about the BAM cases - as far as I know, their Manouche guitar case is Selmer sized only, and probably won't accommodate your Favino-sized Shopis.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Why not a Calton?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • tommydavytommydavy ✭✭
    Also I might add that a great outer case maker/gig bag is mooradian. I have a case cover made by them that covers the Accord and when you take it on board it does not attract any extra attention and softens impacts. Metallic insulated material can be used as well to help reduce the risk of finish cracking due to temp change. The backpack straps are nice as well. The case in the bag is lighter than most TKL type hardshell cases. I would only put this under the plane if i HAD to. Only ever had to gate check a guitar once and it survived the 2 hour hop just fine.

If you have to check/ship a case with advanced notice I HIGHLY recomend Case Extreme. They make great clamshell type covers that are very safe to check.
    Thanks fellas! Those all sound like great ideas. I'll figure something out... here's why I need something other than Calton, I'm hoping maybe reposting this will make them respond to me:

I ordered a case specifically for a tour. Jim there assured me it was no problem and that it would arrive in plenty of time. Well, the week I was leaving came and they would not respond to any of my emails or phone calls. Finally after I threatened to post nasty things about them all over the internet, Jim emailed me back with an apology and saying that he had hurt his foot in the factory. To make sure I believed him, he sent me a really graphic picture!

Well, I'm a mellow guy and accidents happen and I felt really bad about buggin him, so I told him to just keep me posted. Mind you the whole time on their website, under the order status it says "awaiting shipment". So, my case if finished and just sitting there, waiting for someone to mail it?

Two months later, and not a peep from them, I finally let them know I was going to contact my bank and get my money back... still no response, so that's what I did.

It's really freaking lame of them. Emailing a customer is the easiest thing in the world, and I think most of us guitar players, are pretty mellow people that totally understand when shit happens.

SO if anyone from Calton ever reads this, and if my case is really finished, I will still buy it! I still want it. I'm just not cool with giving you a thousand dollar advance and never hearing back from you.
    -David Mitchell
  • Damn. This is making me nervous, 4 months before I fly with a guitar. I will most likely bring a lower end guitar with me to my gig in Kentucky in the winter.
    Well, I'm gonna go for a Hoffee case! Jeff Hoffee is really cool and they are really nice looking. I'll keep you all posted and hopefully we've got a new company here to protect our Guitars. I mean, what's the point of having a "gypsy" guitar if you can't travel with it??? :lol:
    n
    -David Mitchell