DjangoBooks.com

Interesting Django Recordings and Lost Footage?

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    A very short clip on repeat from a much longer sequence of Django playing an amplified guitar in late 1944. Andre Jourdan is on drums and Jean Storne on bass. Unfortunately there is no sound with this footage.
    wim
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Haha. You guys sure can joke about the most serious matter. :mrgreen:
    Which one? The 1936 one with Jean Sablon and Naguine (and Django?) singing? :lol:

Django is pretty much inaudible in the Freddy Taylor recording. I can only hear him in the very end and it sounds a little like an electric guitar.

Speaking of electric guitars, it sounds electric in this recording as well.

Oh wait. It's one of your jokes again. 8)

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Nevers did a fantastic job in creating the Integrale series but sometimes he made some quite crass mistakes/errors of judgement.

Just out of curiosity, is there a list of Integrale errors/omissions somewhere?

Adrian
    Papabeckers site does not include some of the integrale recordings. Anything not on that list could be considered controversial. :)
    Svanis1337 wrote:
    Django is pretty much inaudible in the Freddy Taylor recording. I can only hear him in the very end and it sounds a little like an electric guitar.]
    It's Oscar Aleman not Django.
    Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're joking or not, you know? :wink:
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    yes it is the unreliable Oscar Aleman!
    Svanis1337 wrote:
    Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're joking or not, you know? :wink:
    :shock: I am being serious here. As Spatzo says, it is definitely Oscar Aleman. Listen carefully and you should be able to hear it is not a Django improvisation. Aleman was generally a much lighter weight, often "jokier" improviser than Django.
    Yes, sorry. You misunderstood me. I was referring to this post by Spatzo
    Nevers really took some strange decisions when he decided to include what he considered some "possible" Django recordings eliminating others such as "Blue Drag" with Freddy Taylor for example an interesting recording from the period of "Les Oiseaux Bleus" the musical bar in the 1937 Universal Exposition

Perhaps I'm the one misunderstanding here. I think Spatzo was referring to Nevers making a good move eliminating Blue Drag and not a bad move, as I thought. (It being a Django Recording, which it wasn't.) :oops:

I wouldn't doubt you or Spatzo a second. You can't argue with the best. And I really mean that.

:D