DjangoBooks.com

Interesting Django Recordings and Lost Footage?

1525354555658»

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Still interesting to have those dates! Many thanks.

Maybe we have now to search the opposite situation: Duke going to meet Django when he arrived in New-York in October 1946. As already mentionned they waited four hours in the plane after landing before being able to disembark. Maybe Duke was there to meet Django and some picture or video is available somewhere.
    Svanis1337 wrote:
    Speaking of footage of Django with Duke Ellington... What does this look like?

Patricia Willard was there when the photo was taken, and tells me it is a publicity still taken during the filming of the "Symphony in Swing" in February 1949 at Universal Studios in North Hollywood. The same set, with the same personnel on the same bandstand can be seen in a very similar photo in Ellington's autobiography, Music is My Mistress, p.165, also printed in Dr. Klaus Stratemann's Duke Ellington Day by Day and Film by Film, page 300. The only differences are Ellington seated instead of standing, and a couple of the sidemen have moved their horns a little.

Personnel, l. to r. are Lawrence Brown, Sonny Greer, Quentin Jackson, Wendell Marshall, Tyree Glenn, Ellington, Jimmy Hamilton, Johnny Hodges, Al Killian, Ben Webster, Harold Baker, Russell Procope, Francis Williams, Shelton Hemphill, Harry CArney and Ray Nance.
    spatzo wrote:
    Still interesting to have those dates! Many thanks.

Maybe we have now to search the opposite situation: Duke going to meet Django when he arrived in New-York in October 1946. As already mentionned they waited four hours in the plane after landing before being able to disembark. Maybe Duke was there to meet Django and some picture or video is available somewhere.
    On the day Django arrived, Oct. 30, "Django Rhinehardt (sic), French guitarist, (was) feted at welcoming cocktail party given by Duke Ellington and William Morris Agency Wednesday (30) after his arrival in the United States by plane from France."
    -Billboard 1946-11-09, p.20

The party likely took place at the Aquarium Restaurant, since it was the last night of Ellington's run there.

For more information about Django's time with Duke in 1946, check http://www.cleveland.oh.us/wmv_news/jazz23.htm Jazzed in Cleveland.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Just some photos of the famous Astoria Club in Via Beltrame Milan Italie where Django played in 1949

Photos are all dated 1950
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Wow! What a plush joint! Just a little step up from the Bal-Musette....

Sp
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Hi all
    it is not exactly a lost footage but I just discovered that the 1946 movie at Rodeo club is fully available to watch on Ina.fr

http://www.ina.fr/video/AFE85001505/la-fete-des-gitans-qu-est-aujourd-hui-le-monde-gitan-video.html

It is a pretty sad document to watch; the comments of the journalist are at the border of being really racist! And there is only a few seconds of Django playing...

But it is interesting to watch it to understand in what context this movie was released.

I could do a simple translation of the journalist comments if you really want.
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 Posts: 457
    Different times, Gypsies stayed outside society and ordinary people had a hard time understanding them and finding time being anything other than ignorant. Thus the reason they were shunned was because they always had been. Very sad. Django had a lot of love that he spread through his music, once people could experience that, there suddenly was a reason for them not to be as ignorant anymore, thankfully.
    Buco
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Words of wisdom!
  • djangologistdjangologist ArgentinaNew Repiso - Dupont

Hi! I have the complete movie: 1937 film "Naples Kissed by fire" (Naples au baiser du feu). I dont see Django on the movie....Did i miss the part? Any comment on that? i somebody wants the file, just let me know

• DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia