DjangoBooks.com

any idea what mics these are folks?

rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Without trying to be too reverential, you could possibly write a thesis on just one of Moignards' solos. Speculative title "Technique or Mastery; The study of acoustic guitar application to improvisation"
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    Talkback mic: Shure SM58
    Vocal mic: Shure Beta SM58
    Bass: ElectroVoice RE-20
    Adrien: Shure SM81
    Benoit: Can't tell exactly, the video doesn't get close enough, it's most likely an Audio-Technica but could be a Sennheiser . One of their small diaprhagm condensor models. Coincidentally this is my favorite sounding mic in that video, Audio-Technica is a great brand and not too expensive.

If you're looking for an excellent sounding mic you should really be aiming for one of these two:
    Small diaphragm- Neumann KM184.
    Large diaphragm- AKG C414.

I personally would say go for the Nuemann KM184 and aim it right were Benoit's is, this is Bireli's standard setup and if he doesn't travel with one it's definitely in his technical rider. If you can afford that mic for gigging than you probably won't have a hard time sending me some extra spending money :D ! I'll pm you my mailing address and wait patiently for any pile of money you will be dropping my way. Until then if you need me I'll be browsing jet-skis online picking out my favorite color....

Jason
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Haaa ha I love it!
    The sound achieved here is pretty much what I am looking for in a live situation :lol: -Thanks for the heads up-will be looking for mics this week. Free money will appear in your account when I sell kidney/get that money that the bank of Nigeria tell me they want to 'rest' in my account....
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    Haha, I love some Nigerian Banking Scams... This site has some correspondence: http://www.419eater.com/index.php The guys on the forum make a hobby out of stringing along the scammers, it's really funny but also scary to think that there are soo many people online trying to steal someone's life savings!

As for mics, the quality of this video has to do with the overall soundsystem in the venue and the direct feed to the video from the sound console, you're hearing the mic itself not the sound in the room. In Joe's Pub there is probably a decent sound console, clean ample power, speakers capable of producing more than double what you hear in this video without sweating, and most importantly a good sounding room with a QUIET AUDIENCE. This type of external micing wouldn't work well if any of these variables were out of sync. At nice venues you can get away with an external mic. If you're planning on using a mic as your sole source of amplification in everyday use I personally think you should be looking at going as close to the guitar as possible. The Audio Technica mics that everyone uses and Micheal sells here work really well. You can get away with using them in a noisy, harsh sounding environment because they are closer to the sound source and provide you with more usable volume before feedback. True they won't sound as open as condenser mic a few feet away, but if you can't get the mic loud enough to be heard without feeding back no one can appreciate the music much less the tone....

Along with the mic you should be looking into the speaker system as well. A PA type of system will perform with a mic much better than a small guitar type of amp on the floor ie: AER.... It really is a night and day difference!
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Prince Joe Eboh-thats one of the funniest things I have read in ages-crying here!