DjangoBooks.com

Blues (1940)

alphrzalphrz New
edited October 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 5
Hi all,

I'm a recent newcomer to the world of Gypsy jazz. I found about Django through my guitar teacher and decided to take on a piece for assessment. I was able to procure the "Django Reinhardt Anthology", and found it had all the notation I needed. My problem was that musical notation is certainly not my strong suit! So I knuckled it out with my sequencer (Guitar Pro 5) and converted the notation to tab as best I could.

I wanted to check the fingers and frets were the same. I'm confident it's mostly right but I'm unsure while learning about some of the fingerings. I know Django was well know for using some odd fingerings, but I don't want to be playing it unless it's correct.

What better than to ask the experts? :D
If we could get the version 100% I'm sure it will help many people learn the song guitar and share the love. See the PDF attachment for the version I transcribed.

Note: It's not Blues en Minor, it's the 1940 recording from Paris I believe. So many version make it very confusing

Comments

• alphrzalphrz New
    Nobody with ideas? Intrigued. The file has been downloaded 20+ times! :?:
  • alphrzalphrz New
    Hi all,

In the past couple of days I've made alterations based on what feels 'comfortable' or 'logical' for fingerings. They may not be 100% correct, so I'm still all for ideas/alternatives.

I've attached the version in PDF format and also as one kind member pointed out I've attached the Guitar Pro Six file (and I should have done it earlier).

The format GPX isn't allowed so I've changed it to text. Just rename it once it's downloaded.

Hope to hear some feedback. Thanks! :D
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Check those tabs, they're accurate and should help you to optimize your own :

http://www.djangoinjune.com/For_musicians/getready.html
    http://www.djangoinjune.com/For_musicia ... p2010.html

Also see attachement for the 1940 transcription.
    - JG
  • alphrzalphrz New
    Fantastic!

A huge thanks to Joli and Archtop Eddy for their fantastic contributions. Now for the chugging away, learning and getting those licks and arpeggio's up to speed...

(how he managed some of the fingers with two fingers still amazes me... :roll:)
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Despite the fact that it is a very academic book, Benjamin Givan (Music Professor at Yale ?) actually did some comparative studies to understand how playing with two fingers had affected Django Reinhardt's playing. If you're ready for this kind of book, it's worth it. If not, you might find it too didactic.

You can buy it on your favorite website :
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/transcription-books/benjamin-givan-the-music-of-django-reinhardt--benjamin-givan-music-of-django-reinhardt.html
    - JG