DjangoBooks.com

Question on La chope des puces

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited October 2011 in Europe Posts: 1,665
My wife and I are flying to Paris this Sunday night, staying until Oct 16, when we'll head off to ... who knows where? Somewhere else in France for several more days is all we know at this point. We're playing this totally be ear.

I'd love to stop into La chope des puces while we're in Paris. My command of French is pretty limited (almost nonexistent, in fact), so I can't make much sense out of their Web site. Can anyone offer any advice about when is the best time of the week/day to go there? I gather it's pretty informal as to when music is playing.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Ben, there is a Frenchman in your band, my girlfriend is a professional translator, and I teach French! Surely you can find someone to read you that website :D:D:D

Anyway, the events page is about 4 months old (all about a Manouche festival June) but the main page claims they have a Garcia family jam every Saturday and Sunday from 2-7.

If we don't see each other before you go, have fun!

-Kevin
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    kevingcox wrote:
    Ben, there is a Frenchman in your band, my girlfriend is a professional translator, and I teach French! Surely you can find someone to read you that website :D:D:D

-Kevin

Doh! Yeah, of course, Kevin. I'm a little slow these days.

Thanks for the info. I thought it said something like that but wasn't sure.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Hopefully somebody local can tell you what events they have beyond that, though...
  • LoritmoLoritmo Pacific NW✭✭✭
    Hi, Ben, I was there about a year and a half ago with my husband and the Garcia jams were still happening then on Sunday afternoon. It can get quite crowded, but that just makes it more interesting. Neither of us speaks French, but it didn't matter -- we sat at a table with a French couple who didn't speak English and talked the entire time between songs.

I think we got off the Metro at the Porte de Saint-Ouen stop near the ring road, walked through the flea market and La chope is not too far from there. Definitely a must see.

Lorretta