DjangoBooks.com

Where to find Gypsy guitars in Arizona?

RaycaciaRaycacia New
edited October 2011 in Welcome Posts: 6
hey all, I'm looking to buy a gypsy jazz guitar, but I really can't bring myself to buy one without playing it first. I'm thinking I want the DG-300 jj model, but I really need to give it a test run. Anyone know somewhere that sells these guitars in Arizona?

Comments

• dmin7thdmin7th ✭✭
    You can use your zip code to do a dealer search here.

I just put in "Phoenix" and it popped up with six dealers.
  • paynej49paynej49 New
    Heck, if you are anywhere near Phoenix you can stop in at the Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery in that city. Michael Collins even has (or had) a Gypsy guitar making class there.
    They might be able to set you on the right course. Or you might even consider one of the Gypsy guitars that they have made there.
  • RaycaciaRaycacia New
    ah thanks guys, this is exactly what I've been looking for.
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    You can check with Chuck Hulihan, who posts here as Duozona , he heads the guitar dept. at Glendale college, and has the band Hot Club of Phoenix. He may be able to help you find one. Also , i am in Phoenix , and i need people to djam with, my last craigslist posts went unanswered, feel free to send me a PM, and good luck !
    shut up and play your guitar
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    DjangoBooks has a 48 approval period so I can just send you one to try...and I guarantee our prices will be a lot better than the local stores, and no sales tax either!

You can always send it back for a refund if you don't like it.

Michael
  • RaycaciaRaycacia New
    Yeah that does seem like the best idea. Hope I can make a decision in 48 hours, I am very indecisive when it comes to new instruments ha. I think I'm going to get the DG-300, but I can't afford to upgrade anything on it. Does anyone think that's a bad idea, or do they still sound great stock?
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    They sound just fine stock, with the exception of the cheesy strings they put on at the factory. A set of argentines will make a dramatic improvement. I still have the stock bridge, tuners and tailpieceon my dg300 and it sounds great. Josh Hegg told me I could get more volume with a replacement bridge, but the stock one holds its own just fine.

Picks do make a dramatic difference on this guitar. Get a 3.5mm Wegen if you don't already have one. It will get that fat gypsy sound out of the jj
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I would recommend you don't automatically go for the DG 300. Michael says he is getting some AltaMiras in stock very soon, which are basically manouche Latcho droms without the finishing work that Dell Arte' puts on them before renaming them.
    I own both an alta mira and a dg300, and the alta mira sounds LOADS better, and has an easier neck to deal with (not as thick). Now, I kind of lucked into a special deal, so what I paid will not be representative of what Michael is going to ask when they come in.
    That said, given that the Latcho Droms cost $1,500, and have about $300-$500 worth of upgrades (nicer bridge, better tuners, nicer setup) over the altamira's, I'm guessing the Djangobooks price for the Alta Mira's will be comparable to the DG 300's.
    The only problem with the Alta mira is the tuners aren't pretty, and it has no fret dots on the SIDE of the guitar neck, which kind of sucks.
    Otherwise, the sound is in another stratosphere over the Gitane JJ model.
    Pf course, fo $500 more you can spring for a manouche latcho drom, which would be awesome too.

ALL in all, though, it is the player and not the guitar. Gonzalo can make a Cigano sound like a dupont if you know what I mean!

Cheers !
    anthony