DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

JHB KDynon BennyBulle dmatic stradella

Question for Creating a Well-Rounded Set

WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
edited November 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 221
When I play gigs I have lately come to roll my eyes at the set list choices I or others made. Staring down at the set list written out a few days before in excitement turns out to be a bore to perform.

Are there any rules for set lists one should know about? For example, rules about keys--going from major to minor, etc. good transitions for mixing in Waltzes and Boleros, etc. starting a set with a ballad or other taboos

I know it takes time to get experience and refine one`s artistic choices but until then I`d appreciate it if anyone would have some good well-rounded sets they`d care to share.

Anything would help, thanks in advance!

--Al

Comments

• kidtulsakidtulsa New
    Hey,

I've found that writing out set lists beforehand can be a little problematic. I like to be able to 'surf the room', as it were -- if it's a dinner crowd, I lean more heavily on slower-tempo and latin numbers, while a loud room or a more attentive audience seems to respond better to the faster stuff. Either way, the audience/situation dictates the song choices. I've found it helpful to work off of a master list of tunes divided up by tempo/style and/or key. My two centimes.

Pete
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    thanks for two cents! I completely agree with you, the audience is the big factor. Once I start the set I try to sense whether the crowd is being responsive or not to the songs as best I can.

I try to begin with some upbeat major tunes, then a minor, then get into something to break up the rhythm (like a waltz or bolero), then a few medium major or minor tunes, then some kind of ballad for the end of the set (of course if the night is ending then we`d select some more bombastic showstoppers for closing).

I guess I am wondering if anybody has a bulletproof set list because I haven`t found it yet! (if it indeed exists...)

Thanks again kidtulsa!