DjangoBooks.com

For Beatles fans only

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I should add too for anyone reading this under the age of fifty, once upon a time there was no such thing as a 'vintage guitar' or a 'collector's item' and at that time nobody would have thought that Lennon's Rickenbacker was worth any more than any other second-hand broken Rickenbacker. At the time I had a cheap Japanese guitar and only wanted to move up to something slightly better. Any future potential market value was never considered.

It's one hell of a story to tell though and sometimes that's worth more than the object itself.

Willie
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 959

Agreed. But for a long time I kept quiet about my working for The Beatles as I thought people would think it all BS. For a long time it seemed that everyone who had crossed their paths, however fleetingly was cashing in with a dubious book, but since Mark Lewisohn has been working on his ultimate Beatles history, Part 1 - 'All These Years - Tune In' - highly recommended, (still waiting for part 2) it has all been covered. I even spent two hours on the phone to him going through what I could remember and from what he said he has been talking to everyone involved through the years so that will be the whole story with no stone left unturned.

Meanwhile, I am collecting my various adventures for a memoir of groovy times in '70s London and one day there may be enough for book in that.

1980s was a decade to forget musically and since the '90s I have been more interested in digging back into older music, Django of course top of that list.

Buco
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

1980s was a decade to forget musically

Those, sir, are fightin' words!

ChrisMartinBillDaCostaWilliamsBucowim
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,894

Why do people beat up on 80s, Bill?

To be fair I was just referring to general pop and chart music of the '80s, I am sure real musicians were still out there somewhere doing worthwhile stuff, it just did not get on the radio (at least not in England).

Well I tried twenty years ago, and was known briefly by my work colleagues as the 3.2% millionaire after this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-WHH6skOw

But even if I had got the Rickenbacker back then I doubt I would have kept it long, about that time I had a cheap Japanese guitar and all of my records stolen from my rented rooms, nobody knew 'name' guitars were going to worth anything, and I was always after something new so probably would have traded it for a Telecaster anyway. Easy come, easy go.

As I said, I did not want it because it had Beatle connections, back then I just wanted a better guitar. and as Buco said, now it is the memory that is worth more to me anyway.

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco

So what happened with questions 11-15?

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Shoulda gone with the Thunderbirds! Nice work. 32K pounds is nothing to scoff at!

ChrisMartin