DjangoBooks.com

Who makes custom bridges?

2»

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 959

NYC ok, re the pedantic geography questions, I was just yanking your chain.

But as for the aforementioned 'botch job' that was just one person's experience, and if I am right in guessing who he was referring to I have had only good experiences with that person, but as he never named him we can ignore that comment anyway.

As Buco says, if you want it done right the luthier in question should have access to the guitar too.

My atlernative suggestion, at least for anyone with basic woodworking skills is to try making your own. The standard shape is not hard to achieve if you can find some suitable rosewood or ebony blanks, the length and width of the feet are variable but you will need to know where the braces are, and next there are various ideas abot how much (or little) you need to hollow out underneath. There have been many previous posts on here about how best to sand the feet to match the surface of the top. Only once you have this side decided can you then adjust the height and obviously the slots for string spacing can be marked out. Search the forum box on the right for bridge making and adjusting questions.

I know I am making it sound simple, but given the cost of the basic materials and the tools required it is fairly easy to have ago and while you are at it make a few, tweaking this and that until you get what you want.

Then again, I have always been an experimenter and tinkerer but maybe Mr Shopis can get it in one.

Good luck !

• krzyskrzys New

Haha I am not the one to censor that name, it happens automatically so make of that what you will.

• JDRookeJDRooke New

Right, that would be optimal. I've reached out to him on FB. No word yet. I was figuring someone would get it close and then I might do some sanding etc to nail it down.

• JDRookeJDRooke New

Funny you should mention. I recently purchased a hand dremel and made some bridges to test whether what I'm shooting for in height was correct. Thing is, I have a uniquely short bridge I'm trying to make. This brings with it some issues. If I buy the shortest generic bridge off of amazon or from Dupont, it's 17mm, which is 5mm higher than my bridge. If I sand up from the bottom, the bridge length gets too short. If I go from the top, I end up punching a hole in it. I can make the blocky ebony ones work. But, they don't sound great. I am good with the sanding the bottom thing. I am uncertain about shaping or making my own from scratch because I am not confident that I can make something that looks like a normal bridge. Maybe, there are instructions for that in here somewhere I should dig for. I haven't seen them yet. I've brought a couple of my bridges down from the top. They are functional, if a little messy.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@JDRooke -

Start from a blank and use a scroll saw to get basic shape. then your dremel to get it there.

My advice for some easy flexibility in height, use a bone saddle - much easier to shim up . . .

But ok . . why so low?

Rodrigo is great, and Craig for sure also. So is Alan Watsky (but he's in NC these days), and A. Mullane (in CO).

Cheers,

B.

JDRooke
  • JDRookeJDRooke New

I've gave a shout to the first two. No word yet. Per the scroll saw, that would not be allowed in the apartment by the authority that I share a bed with. The dremel I recently purchased elicits some frowns.

I have a new ax that a really low bridge. I like my action low and love the playability and sound when I adjust the truss rod so that there is a slight buzz on the c-note on the b string. Basically, the method that works for me is making this note buzz, then backing off a hair with the truss rod. At this point, have more upbow than I should and a slight buzz on that c and maybe the f on the e. I want it lower and don't want to muck with the original bridge more than I already have.. at least until I have a solid backup.

• JDRookeJDRooke New

An update... the luthier who made my guitar is making me another bridge for free. I didn't want to name him previously because it might be perceived as a slight on the guitar that I find so amazing. I think this is more an indicator of the challenges inherent in purchasing a brand new guitar from a luthier in France and taking it home. The guitar changes in the new environment and it can throw the setup off right off the bat.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

If Rodrigo Shopis will let you, sit in his workshop, after he's made a rough bridge with your guitar there, the bridge feet having been fitted to your guitar top. Check what the relative humidity % is (hopefully 45%-55%). Let him gradually thin/lighten the bridge (as well as reduce the action string-by-string), until you get the amount of treble and "cut" that you like, and the action you like.

If his shop is more humid, you might want him to leave the action a bit high; if it's less humid you can get the action low. Have him give you some shims that you can put under the bridge feet when the humidity droos in winter.

JDRookeBucoBillDaCostaWilliams