DjangoBooks.com

My new find : a Di Mauro

Good morning everyone, recently I purchased ( for a good price I would say) a samm di Mauro parlor.

I've found online the old catalogue, could it be a Poema or Espana model. Does somebody has a similar one? What do you think?

This is the guitar now, It has a crack i the top, misses a few pieces of binding. Also the nut is missing and it's chipped on the fretboard near it.

The bridge saddle has to be changed and also the tuners, so it's a bit of work but I'm ok with it.

BillDaCostaWilliamsWilliebillyshakesBucoDoubleWhisky

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

Ciao, Elianu, these old guitars are keeping you busy with repair work ;-)

I have some spare buttons & parts for the DeLaruelle tuners if you need them - good luck with the restoration!

-Andy-

elianu
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I bought one in a better state about 6 months ago for £500. I changed the tuners - with difficulty due to the spacing of the original posts - stripped the top and fixed a small split in the top. I also put a small soundport in the upper bout to improve the sound, which made no difference to the sound at all. The seller described the guitar as having that typical gypsy 'bark'. That was nonsense, unless he meant like a Pekinese or other small yappy dog. To my ears it sounds crap and is the worst £500 I've ever spent on a guitar. Hopefully you spent a lot less than that and that you end up with a playable and decent sounding guitar.

AndyWelianumac63000
    always learning
  • elianuelianu New Caponnetto Di Mauro

You painted it again with clear paint?

I was planning to do it too since it's pretty damaged on the top, so maybe sanding it a bit could help before repainting it.

I payed 90 € for mine

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Hi there, I french polished the top. It looks great.

elianu
    always learning
  • elianuelianu New Caponnetto Di Mauro

I was planning to do that too, instead of polishing all the guitar. Could you send some photos If you have any?

I'll send some pics later today.

always learning

Here are some pics of my Di Mauro.

DoubleWhiskyBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsAndyW
    always learning
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

These are nice guitars for what they are, not really suitable for the typical GJ sound but they sure make fine fingerpickers for folky/bluesy/rags. I would suggest a good one is worth about US$300, they are not hard to find in Europe. That one should be an easy repair and is fine for what you paid.

Here are a couple I had, now moved on, but I would have another if it came along.

WillieAndyWBillDaCostaWilliamselianu