DjangoBooks.com

Benjamin Givan's Book?

Comments

• nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Hee I found a mistake in Miss Annabelle Lee... Really I'm just amazed at the amount of work this guy put into the transcriptions, and slightly bummed there isn't tab for those of us without decent musical training. But I'd love to get the second half of the book to see his analysis of Django's phrasing.
  • I'm just discovering this thread in May, 2011.

The Givan book sounds really interesting, and I look forward to checking out the Django transcriptions that were posted above as PDF files.

I wonder if anyone out there is still using this book or the transcriptions?

The thing I'm hoping somebody is addressing is this--- I've taken the time to learn five or six Django solos note for note, though admittedly I struggle to play them at his actual tempo.

In learning these solos, I often find that even after figuring out the exact tricks the magician used, I'm still somehow not much wiser than before--- "How in the world did he ever think of THAT?"

There are other times when I say, "Oh, my god, how obvious! Why didn't I think of that?"

I'd really love it if wise person could together some kind of unified theory explaining the theory behind some of Django's harder-to-understand licks... does the Givan book do that?

There's your money making idea right in front of you.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Hi, I was in contact with Benjamin Givan and he was very enthusiastic when I asked him if I could share the transcriptions he had sent me with anyone interested.
    This should include people on this forum, I think!

This is an incredible resource! I can't believe that I'm just discovering this now after it was posted here months ago.

Andyway, this is late, but huge thanks to you, klemj, for posting Benjamin Givan's transcriptions here for us, and even huger thanks to Benjamin Givan himself for agreeing to share his work with us here at djangobooks.com

Has anyone out there yet worked through these transcriptions to see how accurate they are?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi klemjc,

Do you have Choti tabbed?

thanks
  • jazznoobjazznoob Buenos AiresNew
    Great post, thanks for this.
  • lezardlezard IrelandNew
    Thanks for the bump! Holy cow, how did I miss this.
  • It's now late December 2019 and I have just found the Ben Givan transcriptions and downloaded them. My hobby is inputting music scores into Guitar Pro software and I have finished the third volume. As far as I can tell the transcriptions are amazingly accurate. This really is a monumental piece of work by Benjamin Givan. Incredible. I'll transcribe the other two volumes as and when. I guess since Benjamin has given permission for the trancriptions to be uploaded to the internet I could share some of the tabs if anyone requested them?

A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

@JimmyRockHound My two cents: Post them to Soundslice! That way they can be synced with the original performances. :)

Adrian

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    edited December 2019 Posts: 428

Hi

with the authorization of Ben Givan, I already completed some of them with the clarinet parts and published them on my website (djangonewquintettclarinet.wordpress.com) as regular scores (like Ben's), tab (TuxGuitar) and on Soundslice.

It is the tunes from the clarinet quintet, 1940 to 1947.

• Ben_GivanBen_Givan New

No problem. Please just credit my name each time you use any of them for other purposes, such as tabs and soundslice.

BucowimMichaelHorowitzsteffoJimmyRockHoundBonesScoredogBillDaCostaWilliams