DjangoBooks.com

Mono case for Selmac guitars

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
My Mono M80 case ordered from Amazon.ca for my Rodrigo Shopis Selmer-sized guitar arrived yesterday. It's an excellent fit, as shown in the photo below. What may look at first like a big gap around the lower bout is actually the extra padding that cradles the lower bout very nicely. The case is very well padded, attractive, has lots of storage, and features their patented Headlock system for securing the head & neck. If you're looking for a soft case that provides really good protection, check out the Mono Web site.

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 3,319
    Hey Ben, can you post the link to the Amazon item? Did you order the dreadnought size?

thanks
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Yes, it is the dreadnought case. Sorry, Bones, I thought I had stated that. In another item on the forum, someone had ordered their classical/OM case and seemed to like it, but it was a really tight fit, and closing the zipper appeared to require some extra effort and care. The dreadnought case zips up snugly so that the guitar seems to be well secured at the lower bout, but there's no extra effort required to zip it.

Also, I was having another brain fart. I didn't actually order it from Amazon. I got it from Long & McQuade, a Canadian music chain. The reason was that if it turned out not to be a good fit, I could simply take it in to one of their local stores and get a refund within 30 days, whereas with Amazon I would have had to go to the bother of shipping it back. I have ordered a few guitar related things from Amazon recently, hence the confusion.

Here is a link to the case on Amazon.com.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I looked at these and almost bought one, but wasn't happy with the fit. The classical bag was too tight, and the dreadnought bag was too big. It seems to be a very high quality product, though perhaps a bit overpriced?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Wim, I guess the price does seem a bit high, but for the quality of construction and amount of protection, I think it beats the other soft cases that I have seen by a wide margin. As to the fit, IMHO the dreadnought sized bag is very good. As I said, the crucial fit around the lower bout is very solid, and if there is some room around the upper bout, that seems to be the situation in every dreadnought sized case that I have ever seen. The "Headlock" does prevent movement and provides good support for the head and neck. There are very few cases on the market that are designed for a Selmer-sized guitar, and this one seems to me to be one of the best compromises.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,379
    If anyone else is searching for a case with a good fit you might want to try getting a dreadnaught size and modifying it.
    Here's what I did with an SKB soft case and a Road Runner hard molded case. Perfect fit now! Very easy to do and the total cost was about a dollar!

BTW The SKB is great! Very light, padded straps, good zippers and decent storage space. Not expensive as well

The Road Runner before the mod...
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks for the info Benny.

BBH, what was the mod that you made. Hard to tell from the pics, thanks
    Hey Bones,
    I just filled in the space between the walls of the case and the guitar so there are no gaps and it fits snugly inside... See, with a dreadnaught size case there's quite a bit of room for a Selmer type guitar to move inside
    I just did it under the plush lining so it's more pleasing to the eye and you can't tell of the adaptation by looking at it