DjangoBooks.com

Soundslice is launched!

adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
edited November 2012 in Welcome Posts: 542
Hi all,

I've posted some links here over the past few months to my (formerly preview-only) site Soundslice. I wanted to let you know that I've launched it today!

http://www.soundslice.com/

It's a free site that helps you transcribe music from YouTube videos, to create "synced" guitar tabs and chord charts. Here are a few gypsy jazz examples:

Django Reinhardt: I'll See You In My Dreams
http://www.soundslice.com/yt/NGxnx2VD5_U/

Django Reinhardt: Naguine
http://www.soundslice.com/yt/I_Ge0riXe8I/

Bistro Fada
http://www.soundslice.com/yt/5kF9j25NDG8/

Anyway, as of a few hours ago, it's now open to the public -- anybody can create a free account and transcribe! Please give it a shot, and tell your friends if you like it. The more people using it, the more useful it will be to all.

And of course, there's still much to be done -- standard notation, chord shapes, etc. For more, see the manifesto (http://soundslice.com/about/) and tutorial video (http://www.soundslice.com/yt/8zgsQ9qgA7s/).

Adrian

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Congratulations, Adrian! You da man!

Quite an achievement... is "Soundslice" your day gig now, or just a sideline?

Will

PS Hope that video is a "Soundslice for Idiots" ...?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Adrian, you blow my mind. I was gifted with a palate, a love of history, language, and all things French. I was categorically not gifted with a mind like yours. :D Thank you for sharing the considerable things you create, like this.

Is it OK to admit I hope to use your genius like a subtitle in any Marcel Pagnol film - one eye squarely on the playing, ears at full attention....and a squinting eye at the transcription? :D

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Rock on, Adrian - this is really good software. Your response to this is going to be very good. There are a few things that have some of its features, but I've never seen anything put it together this well and as useful for actually learning... and using public sourced material... brilliant.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    this seems like it will be da bomb, but for some srange reason (my fault, i´m shure) i´m not able to play any videos (even the tutorial one), it´s just a blank window where the video was supposed to be and the playing time will show 0:00:00 / 0:00:00 . am i doing something wrong?

anwyay,
    looking forward for this!
    thans, miguel.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Since passacaglia mentioned Marcel Pagnol... this totally off topic but it gives me an excuse to evangelize for my two favourite films of all time: "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources"

And what the hell, as long as we're at it, let's not forget: "La Gloire de mon Pere" and "Le Chateau de ma Mere"

Any who hasn't seen these is in for a treat...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Since passacaglia mentioned Marcel Pagnol... this totally off topic but it gives me an excuse to evangelize for my two favourite films of all time: "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources"

And what the hell, as long as we're at it, let's not forget: "La Gloire de mon Pere" and "Le Chateau de ma Mere"

Any who hasn't seen these is in for a treat...

Quick hijack, but totally agree with Lango-Django. Love them all, Will,and whenever modernity gets me too down, it's back to César and crew, or Garlaban.

Adrian, I neglected to say the obvious - thank you, man, for being so generous. You're an astounding resource to a lot of people.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • What a wonderfully useful teaching and learning aid. Congrats Adrian.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • jlander9jlander9 ✭✭
    Sweet and Congrats!
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    I checked out your tab and performance of "Bistro Fada" and want to congratulate you not only with a stunning performance, but with a beautifully realized concept that is tidy, organized and effective. The video synced with tab played flawlessly and while I haven't yet dived into learning the tune yet, my impression from watching it tells me you have chosen good fingerings too.

I look forward to seeing the website blossom and might just make some contributions myself whenver I feel like transcribing again.

Bravo!
  • SteveGypsyJazzSteveGypsyJazz Sherman Oaks✭✭
    Great news!