DjangoBooks.com

Favino Guitars

BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
I am curious about the differences between the Sel Macs and the Favino guitars with respect to:

Bracing... number and size
Body Shape
Width of upper and lower bouts and waist
Top thickness
Doming or arching...
and anything else

Essentially what are the constructional details that make them what they are

Also Ted.. that is one killer looking Favino ! ! Beautiful guitar Any sound clips available ?

And Michael.. so what's with the wheel adjustable bridge.. ? I think this is a sensible answer , though perhaps not tradtitional to the height with repect to string changes, heta and humidity.. I like it...
Did you fit it.. if so what are the bits? If not.. who did ?

Are there any recordings of the cureent Favinos available that typify the Favino sound,, if such a thing exists.

Does anyone else make a "favino like" guitar ?

Thanks

B

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    [quote]And Michael.. so what's with the wheel adjustable bridge.. ? I think this is a sensible answer , though perhaps not tradtitional to the height with repect to string changes, heta and humidity.. I like it...
    Did you fit it.. if so what are the bits? If not.. who did ?[/quote]

The original owner put that on there....it sounds like total crap. I have a couple of solid bridges that I use. 200% better sound!

[quote]Are there any recordings of the cureent Favinos available that typify the Favino sound,, if such a thing exists.[/quote]

imageTziganskaia and Other Rare Recordings 1960-1978"
    border="0" width="100">

imageGypsy Dreams" border="0"
    width="100">

imageRoutes to Django and Bireli Swing 81 2 CDs"
    border="0" width="100">

imageLa Gitane, Gypsy Legend" border="0"
    width="100">

imageJazz Tsigane" border="0" width="100">

[quote]Does anyone else make a "favino like" guitar ?[/quote]

These are very. very good copies. The Rosenberg sounds just like an old Jacques Favino...it just kills.

DELLARTE HOMAGE GUITAR WITH CASE

DELL'ARTE JIMMY ROSENBERG GUITAR, BIGTONE PICKUP & HSC

• BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    So much for the adjustable bridge ! ! : )

Thanks for the references
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I believe Favinos are wider and deeper, in the body, and have fewer braces under the top. Some Favinos (or at least Favnino copies) are longer in the body, too, having a 13 1/2 fret neck/body joint (my Park is like that).

Charlie
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply and the references.

I sent for a schematic of a Favino guitar so will know soon what the differences are compared to the SelMac units.
    Here's a question for the Favino owners/enthusiasts:

Are some of them built with a 13 1/2 fret neck join? The Park Montmartre models feature that, but it seems like the Favino pics I've seen show a 14 fret neck join......

Charlie
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    There is a third type of Favino guitar, too - the "Jacques" guitars built entirely by Jean-Pierre in the mid 80s. These were built in the old workshop in Paris, they are the same size as a Jacques. They have the old label and the J-P Favino engraved on the peghead, which seems to have fallen off many guitars. Many of these guitars have the 13.5 fret neck joint - mine included. They also have a very thick fingerboard, a steep neck angle and a fairly high dome to the top - leads to a very tall bridge. My guitar is also pretty heavy. I'm not sure how many of these transition guitars were built, but I know that the old shop closed around 1992

The sound of the transition guitars seems to be somewhere between the old Jacques Favino sound and the modern guitar. It's definitely not the same as a Jacques - but it's unmistakably Favino. My guitar has a real clean and bright treble and a superb growl in the bass. It can be heard on samples at www.musetteguitar.com.

Bohemian - where can you buy a blueprint for a Favino?
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    Hi Scott,

Michael Collins offers a blueprint of a Jacques Favino on his website.

Ken Bloom
    Ken Bloom
    Thanks Scot - I presumed you would know something about that issue!

Charlie