DjangoBooks.com

Selmer compared to Favino?

skiski Boston, USANew
Hi,

As I'm sorting out my Gitane DG-255 issues, I'm considering upgrading to a new GJ guitar. The options include both Selmer-style and Favino-style guitars. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the two and why one might choose one over the other?

I'm trying to find the best option in the $1000 to $2000 range.

Thanks,
ski

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    this is a big generalization but:

Selmer style guitars have a more strident, nasal sound, while Favino style guitars have a more balanced sound with more bass and smoother high end.

Of course this varies from guitar to guitar, but insofar as there is a general trend that is it.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    nasal and strident if you play it that way.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited January 2007 Posts: 6,152
    I'd agree with Nick's basic assessment. Now that I have a Dupont VR (a Selmer copy) and a JP Favino, it's pretty easy to comment on the differences.

Selmer (Dupont VR): Has an ultra fast response with a pronounced high end sheen. All that high end mojo defintly makes it very exciting to play...even if it comes at the expense of the low end. Lead lines, even played softly easily float above the rhythm section. But because the high end is so pronounced, it can be almost banjo like if you don't play it right. Generally easy to play and sounds great with lower string tension. But can be a bit buzzy. Low end is pretty hollow and weak. Doesn't make a great rhythm guitar, but if you're comping the chord hits shoot out of it like arrows.

Favino (keep in mind this is a 90's "transitional model" JP Favino. it differs from the Jaques Favinos and also from the newest JP models). Much more balanced. Low end is fat and warm. High end is snappy but not harsh. But not as responsive as a Selmer, needs to be played a little harder to project but has a fatter tone then a Selmer. It also seems to have a higher threshold for hard playing. The Selmer can only take so much...but you can really pound on a Favino. Rhythm sounds amazing...very full. Also great for recording. In general, a little harder to play, likes higher string tension but will give you a really clear, buzz free sound when set up with high action.

The latest Favinos are actually a little more like Selmers. Smaller body...and ( i think) a shorter scale length. Easier to play then the older Favinos and warmer and more full bodied then Selmers. A very modern sound...but I don't think they project as a much and don't like to be played as hard.

No guitar does everything well....I guess that's why we keep buying more!

I hope that makes sense...

'm
  • skiski Boston, USANew
    That does make sense, thanks to all for your responses!

~ski