DjangoBooks.com

Pending: Want to trade my Fender Tele for a Selmer-style guitar

LgibjonesLgibjones New
edited July 2020 in Classifieds Posts: 11

Hello,

deal pending, thanks for the interest

I have a Fender GE Smith Telecaster that I’d like to trade for a Selmer-style guitar. This is a US-made guitar that has become collectible for the neck shape, pickups, and bridge. There are some appreciable condition issues, but it plays well and includes the original case and tags. I’m hoping to link up with someone who has one too many of one type of guitar and wants another of this type. I can provide reverb references and recent pics on request. Would prefer to trade to avoid reverb and PayPal fees. I estimate the value at $1800. Interested in a DuPont Nomade, but open to alternatives. Here is the actual guitar, which is still in the same condition:

Bucovanmalmsteen

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Still looking after 5 years! That, my friends, is persistence. Good luck to you, sir! I prefer brunettes....but GE Smith is one cool dude.

BucoLgibjones

Nice Tele! Some say the most versatile guitar ever.

Lgibjonesbillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

I’ve actually seen a lot of guys play jazz on them very convincingly

Lgibjones
  • LgibjonesLgibjones New

Thanks for the comments guys

You should check if Julian Lage has a Selmer style guitar laying around. I sure would jump on this if I had a spare guitar, I wanted a Tele for a loooong time. I have a sweet old '69 Strat though and that always stopped me from pursuing a Tele.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Beautiful tele. And I think the GE Smith models have a fatter neck than usual, which most gypsy jazz players would appreciate. If I had a Dupont Nomade here I would trade you in a heartbeat and walk away laughing

billyshakesBuco

This had me laughing. I'm with you on picking up a Tele. Like @Buco I always wanted one. I remember a time when I was single and had a good job with lots of extra income. I would go to Guitar Center and see what tickled my fancy. I had 12-string, nylon string, hollow body, Strat copy, you name it guitars played through a few amps (had to get a Marshall stack...just because). Plenty of effects. Then I got my Park and it was mostly all I played.

Shortly thereafter I got married and my wife asked why I had all these guitars when I never played any of them. It was a good point so I slowly shed most of them and a lot of the gear. At least later on I figured out that I could sell a few to fund an AER or another Selmac.

Buco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Tell us more about your Park, Billy...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Don't want to hijack this thread....what do you want to know? Happy if you want to reach out via PM

• LgibjonesLgibjones New

No need to worry about hijacking from my vantage point, I am enjoying this discussion.

Wim is correct about the neck - one of the thickest fender offers. It is recognizable by sight because the fret markers are shaped like those of a lap steel. The bridge pickup also borrows a concept from a lap steel, being screwed directly to the wood. The guitar has become collectible because of GE Smith’s insights in designing this.

Julian Lage sounds so great on his teles. I think he has a Danocaster, Nachocaster, and maybe even a real blackguard

Buco