DjangoBooks.com

Sleeper, undervalued guitars

2»

Comments

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New

Check out Larkspur Lutherie by Josh Greenburg. Very tasteful. Last year his introductory price was very reasonable. Website under construction, his instagram page is the primary platform and has some nice video samples.

JDRooke
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@JDRooke - For me, my Vlaidmir Muzik is killer - next time we see each other, you are of course welcome to play it. Also, Morin, Mazaud, Le fee, Levalier, Gaiffiero are all making great guitars that when bought direct seem pretty fair on price!

Other thoughts- don't be in a rush - you will know the correct guitar when you play it!

B.

JDRookerudolfochrist
  • JDRookeJDRooke New

Thanks Ben, I'll add those to my list. I'm in no rush and am actually enjoying my Dupont Nomade. But, as things open up and I get a chance to bump into more GJers in person (who may let me try their ax), I'm gathering names to keep an eye out for.

Price wise, Leveller guitars certainly fit the bill. Builder is in Greece. Right now there's an F hole on Reverb that's under 1.5K shipped to the US. Looks phenomenal.

JDRookebbwood_98
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New
    edited February 2022 Posts: 74

I had a Leveller D-hole for a couple months. Expect more sustain, overtones, and ringing. Not a dry, direct sound.

jonpowl
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque

Jerome Duffel here in UK is making astonishing instruments at the moment. His choice of woods in particular is really eye catching and the sound! 😍. This is the latest, obviously unfinished…

BillDaCostaWilliamsChrisMartinbillyshakeslittleknicky
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

That guitar looks like it has vitiligo! Very interesting and distinctive instrument. Cool!

Micky Dunne
  • littleknickylittleknicky Sweden

Chiming in here to say that I'm still very happy with my Jerome Duffell guitar after 3 years of banging on it. Fapy seemed to like it too, he kidnapped it for a while and made it sound better than I'd ever make it sound.

I've had the opportunity to play many of Jerome's guitars and I've found them all to be phenomenal instruments. I am not a fan of jumping on a particular maker's bandwagon as I have found there is often so much variation in guitars from any maker and I highly recommend trying and comparing guitars for yourself if it is a possibility. Taste is also a huge factor.

What I can say is that I've found his guitars to be very consistent and I, along with every other owner I have spoken with, am still very content with the instrument. Perhaps falling under sleeper guitars - give one a go if you get a chance.

There are a couple more videos of Fapy playing it on my Youtube page with Hady if anyone is interested. Whatever "it" is, these guys have it.

JDRookeWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsMicky DunneBuco
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 50

The sticker in my Guitar says: Fabrique en France, H. Kocherscheidt, Orchestre, Le Porge, Gironde;

My Repairman raved about these Guitars and by chance i met a client of his, played his Kocherscheidt Guitar and immediately thought this is the real Deal (i own a Di Mauro Poema, played the Eastman, a Sandner and a nice but very dark sounding short scale by Rhino Van Hooijdonk). The Workmanship is similar to the Rhino a bit on the rough side and i love to see the traces of a Human Being on Instruments (on the Poema even some upper frets aren't parallel, maybe to much Chardonnay in the morning?).

The son of the Builder lives in Flensburg in northern Germany and plays Jazz Manouche with the owner of the shop who sells them. When i got there i played five great Guitars, two where outstanding so i had the shop owner play the Guitars for me to help me decide, which was great! When i played the "Model Orchestre" against the "Feigeli Prisor Model" they sounded very different, when the owner played it for me the difference was quite small;-) The Orchestre has a 660 mm scale an was screaming a bit more around the 12th fret. All of the Instruments where kind of played for demo and i got it for about half of the price, nice!

I love love love it but now i'm out of excuses for not sounding great;-)

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochristJDRooke