DjangoBooks.com

Have there been changes to the Altamira in the last 5 yrs?

tnhughestnhughes San Diego, CA, USANew Stringphonic 503 Advanced

Look at getting an Altamira now and I'm just wondering if in the last 5 years there have been any changes to production or design? Whether I should get new or used?

Thanks

Todd

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited February 2022 Posts: 337

Everywhere I look new ones are kind of slim pickings

used, can be an real bang for your buck . My cheapest Altamira is phenomenal

tnhughes
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited February 2022 Posts: 705

I have an Altamira M01F and I love it. It is a couple of years old and loud "like a cannon". I bought it used at a very reasonable price, in great condition. I've owned Gitane, Paris Swing and a Cigano and the Altamira is a much better guitar than the others. Remember that Gypsy Jazz players practice a lot and things get worn on their guitars, like frets, tuners, etc. I wouldn't buy a used GJ guitar unless I had a look at it in advance, and was sure I could return it.

tnhughes
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@tnhughes Yes, Altamira has continued to improve there Gypsy models over the last ten years, with a number of big improvements over the last few years. The coolest thing they've done is upgrade the tuners on the solid wood models from three on a plate to these really nice Selmer replica style closed tuners. I don't have any photos up yet but will soon. The finish work is better than ever and the frets are close to perfect which wasn't the case years back.

vanmalmsteen
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

AltamiraT — Birdseye

vanmalmsteen
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited February 2022 Posts: 337

I would love to hear your opinion on that particular Birdseye model. The specs are intriguing

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited March 2022 Posts: 824

@vanmalmsteen I have only poor personal experience with selmer-style guitars. I played two no names (so-so), an Aria MM-20 (good playability, nice sound, 250 € used, sold it for the same price), a Dupont (don't know the model, would have preferred the Aria even if the Dupont would have been cheaper), and stumbled over my old french piece of wood which I immediately loved.

My approach to musical instruments in general and guitars in particular is more emotional than based on specifications, brands, questions of building techniques and such. But I am fascinated by the amount of knowledge and deep interest here in the forum, and from time to time I can't resist commenting even though I'm sure that I'm not the brightest candle on the candlestick.

Michaels's post aroused my curiosity, so I opened several websites starting here https://www.altamiraguitars.com/us-shop/p/t-birdseye and finally found pictures of the tuners here https://www.hansmusic.com.au/Altamira-Gypsy-Jazz-****-Birdseye-Maple. Or, as my wife might say with that certain smile on her face: "Wanted to play the fast and smart guy again?" 😉

BucovanmalmsteenBillDaCostaWilliams