DjangoBooks.com

Di Mauro Saint Louis Blues

ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
in Classifieds Posts: 959

How often do you see these turn up? While the retail price in the USA would be between US$4,000 and US$5,000 this is a bargain at half that at only AU$3,000 which at the current exchange rate is US$2065 !

Made by the legendary Antoine Di Mauro in Paris it has his branded mark on the back of the headstock. Probably a spruce top, (but it could be cedar by the color of it) with laminated maple back and sides with a nice tiger stripe to the veneer. The neck looks to be mahogany with good frets and a straight low action. The neck has been reinforced with three thin metal rods at some time in the past, (the ends are just visible above the nut), and it is perfectly straight with a nice easy action, with a string height of 2mm at the 12th fret but if you play hard you might want to shim the bridge to raise that a little. The bridge and tailpiece are original and the covered tuners are not marked but similar to Selmer or SB type; possibly by l’Huillier et Massicot.  The finish I suspect is the original and showing some wear all over and there is a slight depression in the back nothing serious and not cracked or split; there is also a small ding in the side of the lower bout, see photo.  I know there were made from the 1940s to the 1960s but there is no way of knowing the age for sure.

So how about that, a rare and genuine vintage guitar from a highly respected and collectable luthier.

AU$3,000 = (US$2065 at current exchange rate)

Unfortunately insured international shipping these days is getting expensive and there is no way around it, but to USA or UK it would cost up to AU$450 (US$310) as a conservative estimate although I could not confirm exactly until it is safely wrapped and packed in a box and I am not doing that unless it is sold, so I may be able to get that down a little.

If interested just message me, I can send more photos and I accept Paypal, but if anyone prefers the security of using Reverb, here is the link:

https://reverb.com/au/item/57112729-di-mauro-st-louis-blues-vintage-gypsy-manouche-guitar

BucobillyshakesRadiofm74

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Looks like its got some "mojo"!

ChrisMartinBucorudolfochristwim
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 959

Oh, is that what it is?

I just thought it was called 'age'...........just kidding....

billyshakes
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

....but seriously, still for sale.

You will not find one of these at this price now, and I am very surprised nobody has snapped it up.

I wonder if my listing it in Australian dollars confused some people, so maybe if I list it at US$2000 plus US$300 shipping to USA or UK it would make more sense?

Bucobillyshakes

Or: $2500 shipped OBO. Then a buyer offers you $2400 and you're like "done!" and they feel even better about it.

The price could not be better.

ChrisMartin
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Boss has told me my quota is filled for new guitars these days. But, man, what a steal for a nice instrument with that deep color. Someone should be interested.

edited October 2022 Posts: 959

Well I am only asking what I paid for it, so as Buco said above, lets start at $2,400 including safe insured shipping anywhere and see if you can knock me down to $2300..........

The "deep color" you refer to is just old shellac darkened with age and looks nice in the photos, but on close inspection it is quite worn, it could use a gentle sanding and a couple of fresh coats. I had thought to do that myself but then thought maybe I should leave that to the buyer; some might prefer the original finish even if it is showing its age.

I believe it is what the current market would call a 'relic'. If it does not sell I will refinish it sympathetically myself.

I might even stick the Stimer on it to see if I can get near the 'Rome '49' sound though my Pignose stack.