DjangoBooks.com

Godin Multiac Gypsy Jazz Guitar

TDogTDog Victoria, BCNew Shelley Park Montmartre; Cigano GJ 5

Thinking about getting one.

There are a few videos out there of Dennis Chang, Angelo Debarre etc playing this guitar and a few older posts.

Wondering if anyone who has played one / owns one can give their opinion?

I like the sound of the lipstick pickup and the reduced risk of feedback.

Interested in learning more about peoples opinion of the "acoustic" sound.

I have a few acoustic and tube amps, but am thinking about running it through a Henricksen Bud and using a volume pedal to blend in the lipstick pickup when soloing.

Comments

Look up Michael Isabell a great Gypsy teacher he works with Yaakov Hoter as a coach and plays a Godin Gypsy guitar.

TDog
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

Where were you looking to get one from?

I've been looking around for one of those, but can't find it anywhere, not even on Godins site, nor used anywhere.

Looks like they're discontinued.

TDog

Also, I may recommend an alternative that is very unique. I just picked up one from Leveller Guitars out of Greece. The craftsman is Andreas was great to work with and you can purchase directly for a better deal. Here is the ended reverb listings for his guitars. He also can make it with a lipstick pickup instead of these P90s, which was his earlier designs. I am pretty thrilled with it.

https://reverb.com/item/82246343-gypsy-jazz-chorus-thin-electric-antique-brown

TDogBuco
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Is it this one? It was sort of buried in the #Godin Heritage section on their website.

TDogBuco
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

It doesn't list a price on it anymore, that's why I was wondering if they still make them.

TDog
  • luckylucky New

I’ve had a go on one, I didn’t warm to it if I’m honest, to be fair it’s the kind of guitar you’d have to spend time with to get to know.

IIRC Denis Chang was involved in the design - I think the aim was to create a practical gypsy jazz guitar for the touring player with a gypsy jazz sound but none of the many issues that plague those of us trying to amplify Selmer style guitars.

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I'm going to make a different suggestion. I have an AJL Quiet and Portable that sounds quite good with the built-in Bigtone, and really great with an electric pickup. It feels like a Selmac, but is ideal for travel, quiet practice (really great with a 6 month old in the next room), and could be used for gigs without a problem. I honestly play mine more than my Dupont these days, mostly because my practice time is relegated to early or late hours. AT guitars are now building a similar instrument, I'd take a look at them too.

https://www.ajl-guitars.com/guitar-194-quiet_and_portable.php

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7oztaNyoXR/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igsh=ZDNlZDc0MzIxNw==

TDog
  • TDogTDog Victoria, BCNew Shelley Park Montmartre; Cigano GJ 5

Thanks, everyone. I actually have an AJL quiet and portable already which I like, though I just play it at home when I need to be quiet. I also like the look of the Leveller, which I wasn't aware of.

I found a Gypy jazz multiac in Sarnia, Ontario of all places. It was on sale ($2,000 CAD) and included free shipping. It's on its way - should be here sometime next week.

I am a little worried that it won't feel like a gypsy jazz guitar, but I'm looking forward to trying it out and like the idea of not having to worry about feedback and being able switch back and forth from acoustic to electric.

Also, as Dragon PL noted, they seem to be difficult to find so I was worried that it might be my only chance to find one in Canada.

I'll report back once I have had a chance to try it out.

BucoJSantabillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Maybe that is what the "#GodinHeritage" means? As in, here's our heritage, we made these once so you can still compare against our current offerings, but we've buried it so far in our website that you aren't misled that they are still on offer?

Congrats on your find, @TDog and hope it works for you.

TDog
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

Glad you found what you were looking for, and my apologies for derailing your thread!