DjangoBooks.com

Chicago gypsy jazz scene

adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
edited June 2011 in North America Posts: 545
Hi all,

Chicago has a fantastic gypsy jazz scene -- one of the best in the U.S -- but until now, there hasn't (to my knowledge) been a good collection of Chicago-specific gypsy jazz information. I've just spent some time putting this page together:

http://www.holovaty.com/chicago-gypsy-jazz/

Chicago people, let me know if you have any additions, corrections or comments!

Also, in the spirit of expanding the local scene here, I'd like to suggest a jam in the next couple of weeks. A number of people have expressed interest. We could do it at the Ten Cat, which is a traditional Chicago gypsy jazz jam place (see my page for the info). Maybe Monday, March 22?

Adrian

Comments

The Ten Cat is quite close to where I work. Never been inside but now I'll have to stop in for an after work scotch. Thanks for the links.
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    GREAT JOB! Just what we needed.

I can +1 on Alfonso's class at Old Town

A regular jam would be great - similar to the Irish sessions around town. Count me in. Let me suggest Robin Nolan's Gig Book as a starter. Gets people moving, and is pretty unintimidating.

We could also start posting grilles so everyone is on the same page.

Thanks

Greg
  • Ryan FlahertyRyan Flaherty New EnglandNew
    I miss Chicago big time...
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    As well you should, Ryan Flaherty, as well you should. Especially Wednesday! :lol:
  • rjsrjs NJNew
    I'm going to be in the loop area from Thursday - Sunday for a trade show.

Is there anything happening in that area this week?

--bob
  • Ryan FlahertyRyan Flaherty New EnglandNew
    Yea ok... I lived there for 25 years... so I'm ok with it... will be back again throughout the remaining years
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    rjs wrote:
    I'm going to be in the loop area from Thursday - Sunday for a trade show.

Is there anything happening in that area this week?

Hey Bob,

On Friday night at 10 p.m., I'm playing with a gypsy jazz trio at Uncommon Ground, 1401 W. Devon. It's not in the Loop -- it's on the north side of the city -- but you could take a cab there for around $20.

Also, check out the Edgewater Lounge on Sunday afternoon from 4-7 p.m. for some gypsy jazz with the Chico Malo Trio.

Adrian
    Guys,
    we need more people from the area to come to Old Town and sign up for Alfonso's class.
    The class is good as is but it would be that much better if more people with previous/some experience join in. Plus the price is really a bargain, isn't it? And you get 8 up close and personal performances from Alfonso as a part of the class.
    I'll be checking this for updates on a group jam (it doesn't seem like I always get notified when thread receives a response).
    B
    PS Adrian, nice meeting you personally the other day at Old Town (you checked out my Ivanovski)
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Adrian,

I'm not from Chicago, but I do visit the city from time to time. I want to thank you for your post and the page. It's nice to see the scene given some space. I'd like to see others from other cities do the same. It's really nice to know about places and folks to check out. Can't wait for my next visit.

Cheers!
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Glad you liked it, JazzDawg, and definitely look us up when you're in Chicago! And it was good to meet you in person the other day, Buco.