DjangoBooks.com

Re: D.J. Hodson Model 503DSE Proto Type 100

DjonathanDjonathan
edited January 2012 in FAQ Posts: 3
Hello,

I purchased this guitar some two years ago and the vendor mentioned some connection between the guitar and Babik Reinhardt.

On plugging it in the other day there was no sound, so I took out a screwdriver to have a look inside the three panels on the back and noticed there was a 9 volt battery fitted under the rectangular panel beneath the bridge; on replacing the battery and then the panel I noticed the D.J. Hodson label.

The guitar came with the photo of Babik (see attached photo), playing this type of Hodson, can anyone shed anymore light on this guitar and the Babik connection?

Comments

• Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I can't shed much light, but I used to talk with David Hodson as he was making a 503 SR for me. I remember that he was doing lots of electric "Selmers" at that time. He was telling me who all had one of his guitars and how happy he was with the designs, but I think at that time I really didn't know any names associated with the Genre and especially folks in Europe at the time, only that he seemed to feel like he was getting recognized by some "greats" for his innovative guitars.
    This would have been around 1996.
    He was well hooked in to the British scene. As all this was completely new to me, before I could plunk down money for a guitar from Britain, I researched Hodson to a small extent to see how his guitars were regarded. I found references and articles about his guitars and a little about who was playing them. There is undoubtedly at least a small culture of players and music writers that were around him, and his wife, who could answer your questions if you tried to find them.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK