DjangoBooks.com

BigTone wiring hole in top of Dupont MC50

I've got a 2005 Dupont MC50 with an internal Schatten pickup that just doesn't give me the tone I want. Several have recommended installing a genuine Dupont BigTone bridge, since it is designed for Dupont guitars. My question is whether making the small hole in the top will "devalue" the guitar or worse yet, affect the tone? I think the MC50 has a current market value of about $3000, so it's not a Selmer or anything really expensive. Plus, I saw a Dupont BIgTone mounted with external wiring and a klunky jack mount, and it looked kludgy, leading me to want internal wiring.

I assume they drill the hole near one of the bridge feet so that it isn't visible looking at the arch under the bridge, but then again, maybe that would affect the top loading on the bridge box bracing inside. Does anyone know where is the best location to make the hole, asthetically or sonarally?

TIA for practical and/or theoretical advice.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I would definitely go with the internal wiring. It won't devalue the guitar and is a lot more practical. People generally only use the external mounts on expensive vintage instruments. You don't want to be drilling holes in your all original 1931 Maccaferri, that's for sure!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    You don't want to be drilling holes in your all original 1931 Maccaferri, that's for sure!
    1931? Really? That would be a rare animal, indeed! :wink:
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Ha ha....that would have to be a protoype or one of Maccaferri's classical or harp guitars. Probably not the best guitars for a bigtone of any kind. But if you have a 1932 then go for it, install the bigtone and why not add a few volume knobs while you're at it! Hell, that's what Les Paul did to Django's Selmer!