DjangoBooks.com

DC music school - Gonzalo's microphone

2»

Comments

Thanks for that Dennis, I shall have a go, I am quite experienced at recording and sound, but for some reason I always have trouble in getting a good "present" sound from mac style guitars. I have found that compression is rarely helpful but I will have a blast at the tape simulation. how long a reverb do you favour ?

Cheers

Brodie
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    well i should mentaion that i am NOT a recording engineer, nor do I even consider myself an expert.. I do know gypsy jazz though; and since I have access to a recording studio with pretty good gear, I 've been able to experiment a little bit, so that is the extent of my knowledge really...

anyway next time i head to the studio sometime this weekend, i will try to get some clips out to you guys

but here's an example of untreated sound (not a criticism in anyway against the video or the playing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvNLlpSr ... ature=plcp

which isn't all so bad , but u hear tons of ringing tones; and when u zero in on the specific frequences and surgically reduce them, it really opens up the sound and makes things so much clearer... it's really a huge a difference!

as i mentioned, a lot of these frequences will depend greatly on the tonaility, but in general the frequences that come out are the natural overtones of the open strings... therefore usually keys such as C , D , G , etc.... I ve found that 587hz was really prominent in a lot of situations (the note D)... Especially so in rhythm guitar parts..

For reverb on rhythm guitar, it's pretty short , just enough to have a little bit of ambiance but it's barely noticeable...

i've been experimenting a bit actually...

here's a very recent recording I did with my band:

http://soundcloud.com/denis-chang/forbach

I've tried adding slightly more reverb, and i'm using the SSL X verb, as opposed to the Altiverb that i've been using previously...

nonetheless it's a very very quick and lazy mix job, there's too much bottom end in the lead guitar, and I used a custom preset for the rhythm... i'm too busy to do a proper mixing job as this is just a demo of some of my compositions
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Well, Denis, I think it sounds fantastic, and what a groovy tune. Is this tune on an upcoming album? I have pretty lousy gear (couple of MXL's, presonus Bluetube), so I know I can't get much, but I would like to play around with this stuff more.

Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    edited April 2012 Posts: 2,161
    sorry for the late reply, i've been working 10 hours a day for the past few weeks and am about to head out on tour for a whole month in just a few hours

here's some before after

it's from In the style of gonzalo (blue in C)

and the other is from vol 3 of hono's gypsy rhyhthm videos (j'attendrai)

see the next post for "after"
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Great! Thanks...
    HCQ