DjangoBooks.com

What do you wish you knew when you first started?

2»

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018 Posts: 872
    I wish I knew it was going to be this difficult to get good at I would have stayed in my lane as a funkster groove jazz player. I could hear most of the harmonies when I started so i thought it would be easy to pick this up but there is a lot more to it than just hearing it.

That said i'm a lot better guitarist thanks to gypsy Jazz then I ever thought I'd be.
    humphrymusic
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah the slow practice thing.

how to play better rhythm.

The importance of the 'short rest stroke'
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Non, je ne regrette rien. Things are like they are. I still have a lot to learn, and that's not a bad thing - having something stimulating to do in your spare time. The small discoveries you do that keep you going ... I love this music. On the other hand, there was this woman ... Guess I've made a few wrong choices in my life. But that would probably not have worked out in the long run either. Nothing I could do about it now. No point in having regrets. ;)
    Buco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I've been thinking about this one for a few days, great topic!

For me---

- backing tracks are wonderful, yes! OTOH, it's more challenging but really good for me to practise with just a metronome.

- Inquiring minds want to know--- why can't I tap my $&@#% foot when I play?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

I think a basic knowledge of playing drums helps here. I'm no drummer by any means, I only have a very basic skill to keep a simple beat on kick/snare/high hat. But the only time I impressed anyone at Django in June is when I surprised Dennis in class by demonstrating I can solo over a tune while keeping a steady foot beat. And I think the only reason I could do that comes from me being able to put my foot on auto-pilot because of this above mentioned basic skill.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 88

I tried tapping with the ball of my foot, with the heel of my foot, and trying both left and right foot. Finally I realized my brain said no half the time. If I tap with the ball my calf gets sore; if I tap with the heel the whole leg jiggles and it's very not elegant. So I asked my guitar teacher about this. He said foot tapping was totally optional, depending on the individual. The key he said was to practice with metronome all the time instead of thinking about feet, if worrying about tapping gets in the way.

For people like Buco whose brain and feet are detached a-hem I mean independent, wonderful! Congrats!
  • jazzman3726jazzman3726 USANew Various
    I would agree with Bob. The little things that we attempt to stand out really have to be used sparingly. They're fun to practice and to throw in during a jam but during a live performance they are not necessary.
    I would've also learned more theory when I was younger as opposed to turning up my nose at it and just learning the tune. My ears got good. I was able to jam/improve very well. But once I got to playing more sophisticated pieces I was searching.
    Play the harder pieces, too. Practice diligently. If you don't have anyone to play with (always try to have someone) then get your looper and record.
    The day I would regret would be the day that I can no longer play and realize all the lost time I spent playing the same stuff over and over because it was easy or because I was too lazy to dig into something more difficult.
    Finally, buy cool equipment because it's always more inspiring playing a good instrument that a piece of junk.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Hmmm... good comment, but to be honest, you had me at "Cayman Islands" and "Gibson L5".

Bucobillyshakes
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."