DjangoBooks.com

Paul Paviot's short film on Django, 1958

2»

Comments

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't trust firstload. It's one of those sites which give you free Usenet for 14 days, but you still have to pay to get those 14 days. Usenet isn't very reliable either. If you really want to download Gentleman Manouche go here:

http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3563750

http://dl.rutracker.org/forum/dl.php?t=3563750

Just remember that it's 4 DVDs and they're 12GB in total. If you only want the Paul Paviot documentary it's 1GB in size, and it's on Disc 2.

As far as I can tell, this is straight from the DVD with little to no compression: Best video quality.

This is the only place on the internet to download this. I do not endorse this website or the people on the website, and I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

To download at max speed using the µTorrent software, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxmO9yzfHLE
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Svanis. Sorry, it's in Russian - I once made the attempt, only got as far as the alphabet and some clumsy first paragraphs in "Кот в сапогах" and a well-intentioned, but utterly failed, desire to read Анна Каренина in the original tongue, as I'm wont to do.

In other words, any guidance on this?

Спасибо,

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    As far as I know, you can still buy the legitimate "Gentleman Manouche" from Djangostation. It's 50 euros but there is a lot of content there on 4 DVDs. Places like those Russian sites are pirates and thieves plain and simple. If you download from there you are (insert word or words of your choice here) the original owner of the intellectual property. Places like this are emphatically not about "sharing", they are about mining your key strokes. Caveat emptor.
    Thank you, Scot. I really am naive to this stuff, belong to another time period, it feels like - bad when your young son is coming to learn more at school about technologies available than one already knows. :oops:

I'm not interested in taking money out of any artist's or artist's estate pocket, so am on Djangostation right now, poking about.

Salut,

Paul
    -Paul

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Thanks Teddy. Have to admit I'm an idiot when it comes to modern conventions - looks like "firstload.net" is a main provider - do you happen to know if this site, or the others listed, tend to be safe? Is this film in the public domain, then?
    No I was not recommending this download, just pointing out it existed. I never use these sorts of thing myself as I never trust them and I am not knowledgeable enough to know whether they are valid or not. They always seem a bit too good to be true to me.
    Thanks, Teddy, I get it. I really am clueless with this stuff, only came to know such a thing as "torrent" existed a while back, and kind of blown away people would feel free to do this, to be honest. I thought perhaps the film was now in the public domain, and this was why it was available. As I said, I'm pretty &^% naive.

I contacted Djangostation (thanks, Scot), they do indeed have it, awaiting reply. Presume the DVDs are all in PAL, anyone?
    -Paul

• GuillaumeGuillaume New York, NYNew
    You can buy the set on amazon.fr here for 30 euros.
    http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B003QSM ... d_i=405320

it's region 2 encoded, so you'll need a region-free player to view it.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I've read this thread and the questions about technology and property rights are beyond my abilities.
    I remember seeing a bit of film that Teddy had posted on Youtube of Django with a blond epi. I was shocked to see any film I hadn't heard about.
    Will the 4 cd set offered on Amazon work on a US Macintosh and how much of Django is on them?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK