DjangoBooks.com

Stephane spreading the good word

Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
edited March 2012 in North America Posts: 1,252
So evidently there will be some good music for the Oscars this year !! ?? !!

I was curious to see if Midnight in Paris was up for a nomination - I heard it was. So I went to oscar.com to see what was what and they were simulcasting live interviews... kind of cool so I started watching...

Emma Stone, Gary Oldman, James Earl Jones, George Clooney, The Harry Potter people...
and...

Stephane Wrembel...

...talking about Django and his new album and thanking Hans Zimmer for hiring him to do the Oscars work and just generally being classy soft-spoken hard-working Stephane. If you don't know who Hans Zimmer is... well, you would if you were a hard-core audio-nerd like I am. He is probably the greatest living movie audio man. When I was doing final tuning on home theater loudspeaker designs... probably half the material I used was his stuff. (Batman Begins, Dark Knight, The Rock, Pearl Harbor, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc etc... I hope the Oscars start to recognize the role soundtracks play in movies and start a "best soundtrack" category.

I missed about the first 15 seconds of the interview because it took me that long to cram my hand into my pocket and bring out my phone and get the camera started.

But man, it's really cool to see the people who work with microphones getting some respect. That's no slight to the people in front of the cameras, but rather a recognition that movies are audio+video... because without people like Hans Zimmer and Stephane Wrembel, they'd be silent pictures.

Good Job Stephane! And much respect to you Mr.Zimmerman.
You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
Daveyc

Comments

• seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    Pretty sure I just saw a Holo modele nouveau in the pit right before the commercial real after Christopher Plummer's acceptance speech. Anyone else see it?
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Yep. I saw it too. It looked great. Congrats Bob! (And Stephane, of course! Pulled out all the stops in 30 seconds or less of Minor Swing...) AE
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Nice! :D
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Here's an audio clip in case you missed it... AE
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Just awesome!!! That and Angelina Jolie made my night!!
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Yeah! Though I didn't see him, I thought I recognized Stephane's playing on Minor Swing as soon as his great right hand revved up into propeller mode, just before the break...right on!

...Jolie looked like a right 'tart-in-a-trance'...Meryl Streep, now there's a classy lady who Jolie could learn a thing or two from.

Excellent article in this week's New Yorker (Feb 27) about The Artist and other silent films. (Page 74)
  • I am so glad for Stephane, richly deserved
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was cool not only to hear Bistro Fada once, but almost as a theme sprinkling the night. And then to have Minor Swing, my family and I were looking at each other, happily a bit blown away to see it brought out like this.

The whole thing, I thought, was a sweet nostalgia trip. Billy Crystal was laid back, enjoying himself, and was wryly funny, not trying too hard. Lot of docs and short subjects I now want to see. And of course, Midnight is ours as soon as we can apprehend it.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Verrry Cool-the time has never been better to make the Django movie.Has to be played by this man of course.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isFS4pp_ ... re=related
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    One thing I couldn't understand, though, is why Bistro Fada wasn't nominated in the Best Song category, especially since there were only two nominees! Does the song have to have lyrics?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles