DjangoBooks.com

Why isn't Bireli famous in the US?

13»

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Hi all,
    So . . . a few thoughts on this issue:
    Big bad Birelli is more famous then just about any other gypsy jazzer here in NYC, and indeed in the Dc area too. This is in part because NYC is part of his regular schedule (every 2 years or so). His english is great, having lived in the City for a year before working with Jaco. when I say I play gypsy jazz, people often know who he is . . . the shows last year at iridium were packed to the gills (mostly with guitar dorks, but a few other folks to) it'll be interesting to see what happens during IAJE (anyone going?) Conference- he is appearing!
    at least people seem to know who he is . . . I think that he is still playing a lot of fusion- as his records are full of bop and post bop ideas - his ears are so astounding . . . dispite the fact that he can't read music at all (so they say!). I'll say this for him and the group that he travels with . . . they are tight, swing hard all night- and each are really ridiculous in their own right! 8k is well worth it in my opinion, but hard to obtain in a all djangotype venue . . .

I thought there were a few traditional jazzers at berklee (on the staff?) like Gerry bediouin (sp) and charles chapman . . . they would be around and pretty knowlageable about how to solo a bit like django, but who would teach rhythm playing? Mcgann's supposed to be great- its good to see there is some interest in it there!

Cheers,
    Ben
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2007 Posts: 94
    Hey Jack, thanks for the encouragement it means a lot to us. We'll definitely drop a line if we're in the area. Notify us if you get to Boston. Lex organizes a gypsy jam sporadically at "Great Scotts" in Allston. We'd love it you and Andrew could stop by some time. It was a real treat the last time Andrew was there.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Gypsy Jazz in Allston! Cool....I lived their back in my Berklee days. Nice to know there's some pompe going on there.

What are the chances Berklee would bring me out to do a lecture/workshop on Gypsy jazz? Being an Alum, it'd be fun to go back and see what it's like these days.

'm
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    Speaking of George Benson, as Michael did earlier, I'm reminded that Dennis C. and others have mentioned Benson's influence on contemporary Sinti guitar players.

I've never bought a Benson album, and am only dimly aware of his jazz playing. Reading a little on AMG, I see he debuted on record only five years after Wes (though Wes was in his mid-thirties before he was discovered), and AMG suggests Benson's pop stardom, which began with his 1976 album Breezin', peaked in 1980 and was more or less over by 1990. Evidently he's de-emphasized the vocals on his recent GRP albums and is back to be marketed as a smooth jazz instrumentalist, as he was in the early 1970s when he worked with Creed Taylor.

Anyone have any favorite George Benson albums, guilty pleasures or otherwise? Are there any surprises on his Abbey Road recording or elsewhere? And can anyone shine a light on his popularity with Sinti musicians--is it part of a larger affinity for smooth jazz, or does Benson have a special Sinti Marketing team working behind the scenes?

Neil
  • plankityplankity CTNew
    trumbology wrote:
    Speaking of George Benson...

Anyone have any favorite George Benson albums, guilty pleasures or otherwise? Are there any surprises on his Abbey Road recording or elsewhere? And can anyone shine a light on his popularity with Sinti musicians--is it part of a larger affinity for smooth jazz, or does Benson have a special Sinti Marketing team working behind the scenes?

Neil

I had heard that Benson's huge pop success came from producer Tommy LiPuma, who had worked with Dan Hicks on the three great Hot Licks lp's from the early seventies... Benson's tone sounded oddly like John Girton's and whole rhythm section took on that Lickettes vibe.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Neil,

you should get hold of "It's Uptown" and "The George Benson Cookbook" - killer bebop playing (no smooth or pop, although he does sing on a couple of tracks)

:)
  • bertonebertone Morristown, NJNew
    Speaking of George Benson...

Neil

A personal favorite Benson solo is from the compilation LP "Willow Weep for Me" (on european CBS, "aimez vous le jazz"series #19). It's the band with Ronnie Cuber and Lonnie Smith from the "Cookbook" and "It's Uptown" Lps but I don't think this tune was on either of those..

It's listed as "Bayou", but is actually "Ready "n Able" by Jimmy Smith, on rhythm changes. Benson's solo, in terms of creativity and sheer drive is simply off the charts! The first 4 bars of the last bridge are particularly staggering.

Stochelo Rosenberg has a recent CD out called Ready 'n Able - haven't heard it but I would bet this tune was the inspiration..
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    The Cooker and Bad Benson are two of my favorites. His version of Take 5 is awesome. I really like Bensons playing. I am glad to hear it is creeping into Gypsy Jazz. Here at a College Jazz program as a Jazz guitar major you can't really escape him (not that I would want to). My current goal is to try and hip people to The Ferre Brothers.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.