DjangoBooks.com

What's the best new GJ guitar in 2012 / order a JP Favino guitar

Comments

• For me the most important thing is to get a neck that fits well into my hand. At the price range you are looking at they are all good. If you can, try as many different ones as you can.

I have found even in really good guitars every once and a while one will find one that really stands out from the rest. :shock:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012 Posts: 48
    Really depends on what sound you want.
    -my favorite solos in this style of music is :
    minor swing , for sephora , bossa dorado , doublejeu
    montagne sainte genevive , pour trois pasa
    les yeux noirs , la gitane

what kind of sound is suitable for play this solos:
    traditional Selmer like sound,early Selmer type sound or modern type sound ?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Mehran s wrote:
    Really depends on what sound you want.
    -my favorite solos in this style of music is :
    minor swing , for sephora , bossa dorado , doublejeu
    montagne sainte genevive , pour trois pasa
    les yeux noirs , la gitane
    -also want to play :
    chardasz,besame mucho,passion,hangrian dance n5

what kind of sound is suitable for play this solos:
    traditional Selmer like sound,early Selmer type sound or modern type sound ?

Sounds like you're a fan of Stochelo and some of the older generation like Tchan Tchou and Matelo Ferre. A more traditional guitar would probably suite you best. Stochelo played a Selmer most of his career so one of the makers who do that well like Dupont or Barault may be your best bet.

As others mentioned JP Favino is also a top choice, although his wait list is a couple of years long and his guitars start around $8K.
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    ok,dupont vrb is one of the best Selmer copies and looks incredible..
    but i think that the bob holo is a better sounding guitar

- is there any chance to buy a Bob Holo guitar from "django books"?
    (with notice that its rare)

- is there any clip in the "youtube" which play one of the
    Solos that is stated before or... by a dupont vrb ??
    (except django books videos)

- Are all vrb guitars with equal sound and wood quality?

- is it true that solid wood made guitars will be improved in aspect
    of sound against of Laminated wood made guitars that get worse gradually?
    (i know that Laminated wood use for made gypsy jazz guitars)

- is there any dupont MD10 ?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Mehran s wrote:
    ok,dupont vrb is one of the best Selmer copies and looks incredible..
    but i think that the bob holo is a better sounding guitar

- is there any chance to buy a Bob Holo guitar from "django books"?
    (with notice that its rare)

Yes, but I only get a few a year.
    - is there any clip in the "youtube" which play one of the
    Solos that is stated before or... by a dupont vrb ??
    (except django books videos)

Bireli used a VRB on this DVD

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/dvd ... d_new.html
    - Are all vrb guitars with equal sound and wood quality?

Never had a bad one, Maurice won't send me an inferior guitar. If he builds me one and it does't meet his very high standards he will toss it and make a new one. With that said, there are some slight tonal differences. Some are a bit brighter, some are a little mellower, etc.
    - is it true that solid wood made guitars will be improved in aspect
    of sound against of Laminated wood made guitars that get worse gradually?
    (i know that Laminated wood use for made gypsy jazz guitars)

Never heard that before and from personal experience can say it's not true. Most of the guitars made 60 years ago where made of laminated wood and are among the best sounding Gypsy guitars ever made.

- is there any dupont MD10 ?

Sure, that is a solid wood model.
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    I've got a Leo Eimers Antique finish ...a fantastic guitar and he makes them exactly how you would like!

Janet

I just got one of these myself, Janet, a 2012, and it is a wonderful guitar. Eimers makes each and every guitar himself and, particularly with the Antique model, uses only the old-fashioned hand tools for all aspects of the work. I also like that the finishing lacquer is put on so thinly.

I bought mine used (it was only 5 months old at the time) through a store that specializes only in gypsy guitars. He had the only 2 or 3 Eimers I could find used anywhere except for one I saw for sale in France somewhere. The point is, that store owner wrote me a few days later, told me he was sorry he sold it, and asked if he could buy it back for himself. He seemed sincere, and I thought that said a lot about the guitar.

Eimers are very hard to find on the used market anywhere.

To respond to Mehran, who wrote, "- is it true that solid wood made guitars will be improved in aspect of sound against of Laminated wood made guitars that get worse gradually?" I have to begin by saying that the way the question is worded makes it a loaded question. There are two questions buried in what looks like one.

Let me dissect it. First, I never heard of that "laminated...guitars...get worse gradually". That's a fallacy within the main question that has no substance in reality, imho. They may not get "better" (though they do- I'll explain in a minute), but I never heard of them getting "worse", even really inexpensive all-laminated guitars. For an example of a highly regarded all-laminated guitar that may actually improve with time, but definitely maintain their value with time, check out Roger Sadowsky guitars. While not gypsy guitars, they address the question at hand.

Second, while I don't doubt that some of the tone of an acoustic guitar comes from the back/side wood, it is generally accepted that MOST of a guitar's tone comes from the top and the top braces. As long as the top and its braces are made of high quality guitar tone woods, a laminated back/side guitar should still age well and improve in tone with age.

I collect guitars, mostly vintage ones. In those cases, I look for all-real-wood guitars, mostly for the aesthetics and the perceived value of them. However, if I was to collect a vintage Selmer guitar, it would most likely have to be a laminated one. That was how the vast majority of those were made (some were made of all-solid woods, but they are not the ones popular today), and I think you'd have trouble finding someone who would argue that those old Selmers didn't age well and improve in tone.

I just sold a very well made all-solid-wood gypsy guitar, made by a reasonably known luthier, to replace it with a partly laminated Eimers. And I think I did well.

Anyway, I realize my post comes several months after this thread began, but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in and also wish you the best of luck in your search for your ideal gypsy guitar.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    in the first place, one would have to know why a solid wood guitar (or any other wood instrument, for that matter) improves with aging in order to properly address the question, IMVHO. not as easy as one would think, saddly.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    double post.
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014 Posts: 48
    thank you for your helpful advice..
    As a result i ordered a JP.FAVINO guitar .

Jean Pierre told me that:

back and sides : rosewood or maple or mahogany, depending the tone you
    wish, gypsy or polyvalent or very bright like mandoline?
    the top : french pine(cedar top in my order)
    scale length : 666mm
    nut width : the neck is made on measure, depending your hand, your
    habit, it may be the same of your previous guitar or different ;
    binding: mix of maple, rosewood and mahogany;
    finish: cellulosic varnish (only)
    tail-piece: steel or wood (ebony with your initials of mother of perle);
    head machines: schaller HNI 2 or HG2 ( gold).

-the delivery time is actually 1 year and half.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    Good for you, but that scale length is scary! :)