DjangoBooks.com

Chord Enclousures

AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 35
Hey everyone,

I was practicing the Chord enclosure techniques and I'm a little confused on which chord is the main chord. The book explains that Django used enclosures when playing the same chord for two measures or more. I guess what I'm asking is which chord is the one which is being swapped out. I'm not sure I've explained it how I mean...anyways, I want to use these enclosure structures to further embellish my rhythms and I'm trying to figure out how to correctly apply these techniques.

Thanks!
AmmonB

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Ammon,

The chord you're enclosing is the one that is normally played at that point in the song. You're just embellishing it with the enclosure. So whatever chord you're playing on beat one is usually the one being enclosed.

I hope that makes sense....

M
  • AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
    Michael.,

I believe I now understand. Just to check that I get it, if I were using an enclosure which went

CM69/G Dm7/A D#m7/A CM9/B Then the CM69 is the chord that is basically being substituted?

AmmonB
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes, that is correct. Although technically I would say it's being "embellished" rather than substituted.
  • AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
    Thank you Michael for the replies and for helping me better understand the concept. In retro-spect, embellished makes more sense.

Thanks again!

AmmonB