DjangoBooks.com

The Tracks of Gypsy Jazz?

2»

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    [quote="dennis"] -----

this is a list based on the fact that non-musician people i know seem to react very very positively to these songs... it doesn't really showcase the evolution of gypsy jazz in any way...[/quote]

It's got to do both Dennis.
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity... What tunes did you choose? :)
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Since the actual tunes are probably less important here than the time and place they represent, just take one exemplary tune from each of these:

1 Django pre 1943 - no explanation necessary
    2 Manouche Partie - tsigane and accordion influences
    3 Waso with Fapy L and Koen de K. - Start of djangocentric era
    4 Schnuckenack Reinhardt - simply impossible to omit
    5 Early Rosenberg Trio - no explanation necessary
    6 Debarre/Camps/Anastasio - great variety, superb playing and excellent sound
    7 Alma Sinti - return of the accordion, true jazz flavor, "Parisian"
    8 Ginieux/Moignard/etc - moving into the future

Each of these marks a particular place of importance along the time line, and each of them has genuine appeal for folks who do not play this music.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    that s quite similar to my original list scot! I would go for bireli instead of moignard or giniaux, just because he was a huge influence on therse modern players... he s pretty much the one who started it... one of his compositions where he plays electric guitar would exemplify this... and to make it more appealing, i would even suggest his version of Love Me Tender... with the electric guitar solo and sax over a hot club rhythm... bam!

for the rosenberg trio, i think it should be Bossa Dorado (another song I dont erally like haha), it s one of their biggest hits, and they popularized the tune, and also popularized the gypsy bossa...

here s my new list

django - minor swing 1937
    django - dark eyes with clarinet (was it 1940?)
    fapy with waso - something in major that swings...
    matelo or baro - something like a waltz...
    titi or schnuckenack - a traditional tune, perhaps with vocals in romanes
    angelo debarre - one of his hungarian medleys from gypsy guitars
    rosenberg trio - bossa dorado or for sephora
    bireli - love me tender...
  • For me I think
    Early - one of the first pieces that he did with Stephane probably from that first 1934 session

middle ewither Nuages or one of his solo pieces

the late Django piece that says volumes about him as a musician is the Blues for Ike recorded just before his death. Once could play that note for note today and it wouldn't sound dated IMO.

A seventies piece

For Sephora with Rosenberg Trio

Birelli piece for sure not sure which one

Finsihing off with one of the Paris based young bucks who seem to be really experimenting with the sound.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Right I'll tell you my first track. It's Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli and the Quintette of the Hot Club of France playing "Dinah" from 1934. The reasons are that Django plays brilliantly throughout with a dexterity, exuberance and creativity that had never been heard before from the guitar in popular music. It signals the beginning of the solo guitar in popular culture and, in many ways, the start of the music that is now called Gypsy Jazz.
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Django plays brilliantly throughout with a dexterity, exuberance and creativity that had never been heard before from the guitar in popular music.

...He thought that himself. So much so, that when he hit his guitar against the chair at the end the people at the recording studio wanted to do a take 2, but the improvisations were so good and the QHCF were so pleased with the first take that they decided to keep it. (Or so they say.)
    Svanis1337 wrote:
    Django plays brilliantly throughout with a dexterity, exuberance and creativity that had never been heard before from the guitar in popular music.

...He thought that himself. So much so, that when he hit his guitar against the chair at the end the people at the recording studio wanted to do a take 2, but the improvisations were so good and the QHCF were so pleased with the first take that they decided to keep it. (Or so they say.)

It depends whether you believe Delaunay or Panassié. One said it was when Steph's bow hit the bridge of his violin and the other said it was the chair leg. :? :roll: