DjangoBooks.com

Django in June 2012: small jam session idea

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    We have a designated area... Bring your own guitar, or sample one of mine.

Thanks, Michael. Looking forward to that.

And I'd hereby like to invite anybody from djangobooks.com who'd be into it, regardless of playing level, to get together with me for a two-or-three person jam session, either in my dorm room or whatever other appropriate place I can find.

I think I'll copy Michael's idea of offering liquid refreshments. Since I'm not such a big scotch drinker, I think I'll stick to my usual summer drinks: either gin & tonic or good old Canadian beer... that's assuming that drinking is allowed in the dorms---?

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    klaatu wrote:
    Wonderful! Those are some of my other favorites. In fact, I was just about to pour myself a glass of Bulleit.

See you there.

Cheers, Ben, see you there. June can't come soon enough, y'all.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Since I'm not such a big scotch drinker, I think I'll stick to my usual summer drinks: either gin & tonic or good old Canadian beer... that's assuming that drinking is allowed in the dorms---?

Will
    Will, the official policy of the school has always been - no alcohol in the dorms. However, they have always (so far) turned a blind eye as far as Django in June is concerned, as long as we continue the way we have always gone - no drunkenness, no littering of beer cans, no barfing on the floors, and so on. Every year, Andrew Lawrence makes a plea to the attendees that we act like adults, and every year we have all done so. As long as that continues, there should be no issues.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    klaatu wrote:
    Every year, Andrew Lawrence makes a plea to the attendees that we act like adults, and every year we have all done so. As long as that continues, there should be no issues.

Looks like it is a good thing that I can't make it! :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Fun to read through all this. We just got our 100th registration for Django Camp today, so it looks like 2012 will be our biggest yet. My modest proposal is that we have one jam the first night with at least 100 players and get that out of our system. After that, more modest-sized groups will perhaps be preferable. :D

But seriously, my initial thought is that, for the most part, the really big jams end up in fairly predictable places...easily accessible and large gathering areas. I think that most of us want both things...we want to be in the thick of the action (in sight of and in connection with lots of other folks) and we want an intimate jam. Good luck with that. If you really want the latter, I'd suggest slipping off to more discreet locations with a few select pomping pals. The dorms and grounds at Smith are full of such location. The Hot Club of Rm 101, I hasten to add, is not one of them.

I look forward to seeing everyone soon!
    ~Andrew
    Django in June
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Oh Andrew, we are very discreet in Rm. 101, otherwise we'd have been shut down years ago, by you or the Northampton gendarmes.

A little bird e-mailed that this will be the biggest Django in June yet in terms of attendance. I am so happy to hear it! Andrew works so hard on this, and has worried so many years about whether or not he'd even break even. I am delighted that he can at least not stress about the fiscal end and get back to herding us cats.

See everyone in just over a month! If my new Mini Clubman gets delivered on time (It's going to be a very close call.), I'll be able to bring an extra couple of guitars. Can you believe that eight acoustic guitars can fit into the back of a Clubman? They can!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • XjaxXjax Boston
    I'm glad I decided to poke around here to see who might be at DiJ. This will be my first year at what my wife is calling "Band Camp" and I've been squeezing in practice time to try to learn enough tunes to minimize my idiot factor and maximize my fun. It sounds like I need to pack a cooler and some beverages in addition to my guitar... I'm looking forward to an awesome week with you all in Shangri-La. :mrgreen:
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Xjax wrote:
    It sounds like I need to pack a cooler and some beverages in addition to my guitar...
    Fortunately, there are good places to purchase beverages of your choice downtown, which is a few minutes walk from the campus. I would guess that their business jumps during Django in June.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    klaatu wrote:
    Xjax wrote:
    It sounds like I need to pack a cooler and some beverages in addition to my guitar...
    Fortunately, there are good places to purchase beverages of your choice downtown, which is a few minutes walk from the campus. I would guess that their business jumps during Django in June.

lol - I debated whether to try and bring some favored wine from here, or search for them while there....not knowing the town, I called a couple places. Both of them were close, one of them responded with my query ("how far from campus are you located?") with: "uh, about 50 feet." :D

Don't know why my memory thought the campus was more remote than that, but very happy to know this. See you all in a few weeks!
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    There's a spot very close by, the State Street Fruit Market. On one side there's a great deli, in the middle is a nice little grocery store, and a very good wine/beer/liquor store on the right with a nice selection of stuff. Also, if you've got wheels there's a huge discount liquor barn on the way in with somewhat better prices. Those are the ones I know about.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles