DjangoBooks.com

melodica & accordina

AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
edited May 2012 in Woodwinds Posts: 599
this one is kinda half-way between woodwind and accordion, so let's try here...
Does anybody play , or has anybody thought about playing melodica or accordina ?

boreljam1.jpg

i've heard a few tracks on youtube etc, & think it would really fit in a GJ setting...

plus - their cheap .. $25 for a new melodica !

or spend $1000+ for a specially recreated 'Borel' button-accordina :
http://www.accordinas.com/

So here's Ludovic Beier on accordina with Dorado Schmitt: their new album together is out soon .

Comments

• Sweet one Andy. You gonna take it upo.

I saw Ludovic do the wildest fastets Montagne ST. Genevieve on hi Accordina a few years ago at DFNW. Duet with another Accordian player who I cant remember at the moment.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    There's also the Andes 25F Recorder-Keyboard by Suzuki. It sounds more like an ocarina than a recorder, but what an innocent sound and easy instrument to play! If you listen to some of those sweet licks, like for example between 0:50 to 01:05, I think that there's more to this device than meets the eye. It looks like an old Wind-up toy. The ones that were made out of tin, with a couple slits in the metal to let the sound through if they played music. It sounds a little better, though. :)

Plus-Minus £100 in price.
  • Our horn guy, the inimitable Bryan Beninghove, plays melodica with our group. He alternates between this and sax on our gigs and it sounds great when he's comping along with the guitars. While it isn't quite an accordion, he can mimic the sounds through breath control. As a result of the reeds slipping, he's also become quite adept at taking these things apart and trouble shooting. The primary problem we have is that they can be a bit temperamental with the weather. Additionally, we can't really come up with a good amplification idea in the restaurant. Contact mikes are out because you'd generally just hear the clicking of him fingering the keys. We can mike it on bigger gigs, but I'm curious what other folks playing melodica are doing to amplify, other than direct miking.
  • A little DPA on a flexiboom would do a good portable type job.

oive only ever seen direct mics though
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    "WeeChimpy" tells me last night at the hot club that he's just bought a button-accordina....
    i look forward to hearing it soon ;-)