DjangoBooks.com

Prohibition Swing Dance in Halifax!

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited April 2012 in Photos Posts: 1,665
My band Swingology got invited by JazzEast (Halifax, Nova Scotia) to play for their "Prohibition Swing Dance" last Friday March 30 2012, a part of their annual weekend-long spring festival. This was billed as a return to the speakeasy era, and people were encouraged to dress in period costume. There were easily 500 people there, and they must have raided every thrift shop and vintage clothing store in town! There were flappers everywhere, and sheiks (that's the male equivalent of a flapper, and not what you're thinking - get your minds out of the gutter!) in suspenders and two-tone shoes dancing up a storm.

The evening started with a Charleston dance lesson put on by the local swing dance society, and we had the tune ready for them: "I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight." For those who haven't heard the lyrics, the second verse starts with, "I wonder if my baby does the Charleston, Charleston. I wonder who is teaching her the Charleston, Charleston." Somehow I don't think it is really talking about dancing, but that's just me. I could be wrong.

Anyway, here's a photo. L-R, Andrew Kent, violin; Andy Connolly, bass; Kevin Cox, guitar; Cynthia Myers, swing diva on vocals; Vincent Leys, guitar; me; and John Malmstrom (aka "Smilin' Jack"), clarinet. Kevin is obscured, unfortunately, but I'm hoping for more photos soon.

For those interested, the guitars L-R are by Peter Zwinakis, Dupont, and Rodrigo Shopis.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Is that the "Smilin' Jack" who used to show up on the forum or a different person?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Bones wrote:
    Is that the "Smilin' Jack" who used to show up on the forum or a different person?
    It's a different person. We dubbed him Jack to distinguish him from our former guitarist whose name was also John, and I thought up the "Smilin' Jack" based on a comic strip character who was popular when I was a kid. Which tells you something about my age.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Very coool picture Ben! Great stage set and get-ups too ! AE
  • JazzmanJazzman Halifax, Nova ScotiaNew
    "Smilin' Jack" tis I. :D
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jazzman wrote:
    "Smilin' Jack" tis I. :D
    That's our boy!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    Here's a great photo of the crowd.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Looks awesome, I miss Halifax. Going back this August for a visit.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • JazzmanJazzman Halifax, Nova ScotiaNew
    Klaatu is on vacation, so I thought I'd post this pic from what we did the next night -- a "soft seat" concert to a full house a few miles to the south of Halifax.

Personnel is the same as the photo shown at the top of this thread. (This time the mysterious Kevin Cox is not obscured. Based on my Djangobooks icon, you can probably tell which one is me. :wink: )
    Thanks for posting that, Jack. We haven't left yet, but I've been swamped today.

Ian, If you do get to come to Halifax, give us a heads-up. We have pretty regular djam sessions, and there is always a good guitar available if you don't want to travel with yours.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Sweet!!! I'll be there around the 4th of August.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco