DjangoBooks.com

'Round Midnight

2»

Comments

• yes...sad to hear you giving up on it when you have reached the level you are at.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PixeticPixetic Lviv, UkraineNew

I am newbie. What do you recommend me to read or to do before I start my guitar lessons?

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,261

Wow! This thread was from 8 years ago. You would be better asking some of the other guys on this forum rather than me. My only advise is listen to as much Django as you can.

rudolfochrist
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Hi Teddy,

Nice job with the tunes and always enjoy your posts!

I played in a Motown band for many years before moving to California from Detroit and decided to sell most of my gear and give up playing before the move. A couple of years went by during which my wife saw me getting wistful and nostalgic for the old playing days - especially when we saw live bands. She surprised me with a new Yamaha keyboard on our second Christmas here in CA. I refused to play it for most of the day - but after downing most of a bottle of champagne later that day, reluctantly started fooling around with it and, bang, like a reformed alcoholic having a nice pull of scotch after a long dry period, I was hooked once again. Over the years, I rebuilt my guitar collection (it was painful thinking about all the vintage gear I had sold for pennies on the dollar) and slowing started playing gigs again. Still doing a jam every week in our COVID times.

You talk about quitting??? Like the song says, once you check in, you can never leave.

For those of use lucky and disciplined enough to have learned to play this wonderful gypsy and jazz stuff - and having opportunities to jam with so many other great and passionate players as you can easily do in this genre, I can't imagine what life would be without playing music.

Stay with it man!

Buco
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!