DjangoBooks.com

Picking in fast cromatic runs

jpcafejpcafe New
edited June 2012 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 26
Hey!

I would like to know if in those fast cromatic runs like in minor swing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTlo809EIlo&ob=av2n) the rotation wrist tecnique is used. I'm able to use this in almost all of the Django licks except in this one. Maybe its because i'm relative knew to all this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTEY1JMTtA

I noticed that Romane uses the "normal" way in a similar run.

By the way: love the forum, i'ts very helpfull.

Comments

• Gypsy Jazz School put out a free lesson on chromatic runs. I thought it was well done.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Can't imagine a better lesson than the one mentioned above at Gypsy Jazz School. Well thought out and executed.
  • jpcafejpcafe New
    Exactly what i wanted!! Thanks :D
  • oliverfoliverf VancouverNew
    That gypsy jazz school lesson was great. Thanks. Playing slowly in time!

Something else that helps I think for the e string part is to pick the first note, then just slide up to the top note, but make sure you can hear all the notes and in time. Do this a few times to get the feel of the speed as you slide up.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    jpcafe wrote:
    Hey!

I would like to know if in those fast cromatic runs like in minor swing the rotation wrist tecnique is used.
    Not sure what you mean by this... But in case you haven't found out yet, Django and most players in this style use a very particular picking technique which has become known as "Gypsy picking"...
    You can learn all about it in Michael Horowitz' book...