DjangoBooks.com

Recognize This?

BonesBones Moderator
edited June 2012 in Photos Posts: 3,319
Here's a project that my son did for his art class. It's ink dots. Took forever.

Comments

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, that one. I think that photograph appeared first on a CD cover. The smoke is fake and the real image has a real background. They just cut Django out and put him on black and put some smoke on. But it's a good portrait nonetheless, even though it wasn't really originally taken as one.

It looks great. Well done!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Interesting! I didn't know that.

Can anyone post the original image? I'd like to see it.
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013 Posts: 459
    My friend Teddy Dupont posted this image on another thread. It's Django and the secretary of the QHCF, Daidy-Davis Boyer.
    The smoking one is a detail from the photo below taken at the Normandie Cinema in 1940 at the New Quintet's first concert. Daidy Davis-Boyer appears to be texting on her mobile while Django sucks the poison into himself.

If I posted a better quality photo of the Daidy Davis-Boyer texting incedent, I would be forced to shoot myself!!!

This image also appeared in a documentary in worse quality. (The documentary is humdrum) I think it was this one:

It's probably ridden with copyright, and that's why we haven't seen the original photo in top quality. There are other photos from around the same time. You can recognize them by Django's one-time attire: White jacket and trousers and a black shirt /w tie.

Here they are with Josette Daydé at the Normandie Cinema. Josette was the singer in "Cou-Cou". Cou-Cou was never released on 78! First time it was released was on LP, after Django's death. Josette Daydé died in 1995 aged 71. I wonder if she was ever interviewed about Django. Django fired her after a short time, unlike another female singer; Beryl Davis, whom Django actually liked and who toured with them on numerous occasions.

Here's Josette Daydé left, Daidy Davis-Boyer right. Around the same date.

There are two photos of Django backstage in this attire and another with him on stage from around the same date.

I don't think all those photos are from the same day, perhaps days apart. Django doesn't have a tie (or a very dark tie) on one of the stage photos, and backstage he has a darker tie.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Just came to the thread - whatever the provenance of the photograph, Bones, kudos to your son for his work!
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Passa,

Thanks for the kudos on his behalf.

It was a lot of work. I think he started it like last November. It's all ink dots except for the final background which I think is watercolor.
  • Great image, looks excellent Bones! Very interesting info about that image, I had never seen the original photograph.