DjangoBooks.com

Slow Down!

SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
Always good advice... But where can I find something to slow down the Givone CD tracks?

Sp

Comments

• spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    What system are you? windows? mac? etc
    "VLC" (windows/mac)is free and lets you slow down and loop ( it might be easier to convert the cd to mp3 first)- its not the best software but its free and does the trick
    "amazing slower downer" (windows) its not free but does it a little easier and the sound is a little better.
    there is also "transcribe" but i have never used it
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    I'm a Windows man!

I'll look up VLC.

Thanks for that.

Sp
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I'll put a plug in for Transcribe! Excellent software, use it all the time. Slows or speeds up tempo on audio & video while maintaining pitch. Also will change pitch of recording by any increment, small or large. Set markers, start point, loops. Identifies notes being played and can take guesses at chords. User interface is excellent. The whole thing is really outstanding. Upgrades, about one a year, for the last five years at least have been free. Free trial, purchase cost is reasonable. $40 last time I looked. Best $40 I ever spent.

CB
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Oopsie, Spalo forgot to tell you about "QuickTime", a free-download program from Apple, available in both Mac and Windows versions, that lets you loop and slow down those speedy Givone clips.

If it turns out that you're happy with some other program, that's fine, but if you want more info about QuickTime, please let me know.

Also, one of our djangobooks.com stalwarts, Adrian Holovaty is a hot computer programmer as well as a hot guitarist.

Adrian has created a slowdown program with which I dabbled but never took the time to really become proficient, called "Soundslice"... I'm sure you could e-mail him at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> to find out more about it.

I'm hoping that while I'm at djangocamp I can get either Adrian or some other geek god to initiate me into all the mysteries of "Soundslice"...

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Thanks for all the advice.

In the end I downloaded Audacity for free. It wasn't to hard to learn and I've spent a very enjoyable afternoon converting the 5 forms on page 20 into separate files and slowing them down by 35% but maintaining their original pitch. (They still sound a bit daunting...)

Sp
  • To practice forms and learn them well practice reall slowly...so slowly you don't have to think

Many people push too hard at the beginning and never deeply learn. Speed up only as much as you can play in a relaxed manner. Once in a while play it really really fast not worrying about mistakes just to get the feeling of fast and the go back to relaxed unthinking mode.

The test is if you can do an exercise at say 120 bpm leave it for a week and you stumble a bit you are pushing yourself.

Once you learned to use your fork did you ever think about how to use it again.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Interesting point. After my last post I went back and slowed down the CD tracks I'd modified a little more to 50% of their original tempo just to take the 'pressure' off myself when trying to play along with them. I certainly found it a lot less stressful and, dare I say it, more fun.

We are allowed to enjoy doing this, aren't we? :lol:

Sp
  • Absolutely one should enjoy. The bonus is, although it may not seem it right away, if you are practicing almost all the time in a very relaxed but focused way, at whatever speed you can play effortlessly and unconsciously, you (and I and everyone else) will learn much faster in the end. :shock: :D:D
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed