DjangoBooks.com

Want to buy Patenotte 256

dontanmandontanman ✭✭
edited May 2012 in Classifieds Posts: 33
I need a step up from my current Gitane, and I'm considering going into luthier territory. I've heard great things about Patenotte from many reputable people. I have my eye on the 256 model. If anyone is trying to sell one, please contact me on here. Thanks

-Justin

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Jacques Mazzoleni has a Patenotte 258 for sale at gypsyguitars.com that I recommend you consider. The 258 is an oval hole, but made with Claude's best woods, like the 260 bean-hole was. I loved my Patenotte 260, which I sold here recently (And I hope whomever bought it loves it.)! It sounded like an expensive guitar, but was very affordable...cheaper even than a Dupont Nomade).

I would advise you not to get the 256, as the woods are not as good. I have thought about that 258 ever since I sold my 260 in January. Then I remember why I sold it: there just wasn't room any more. Besides, it was the bean-hole look I was in love with, as well as the vintage sound Claude always got from his best guitars. Claude's retired now, so there won't be any more. You get a hand-made guitar from one of the great names in budget gypsy guitars for roughly the same money as a designer Gitane.

If you are the same guy looking into an Asian Dell Arte Hommage, this is a no brainer. Call Jacques! I haven't played this individual guitar, but it's inconcievable to me that it wouldn't destroy a Dell Arte head-to-head.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • dontanmandontanman ✭✭
    Michael,

Thanks for the swift reply. The Patenotte 258 on Jacques' site looks gorgeous. I think I might have to make the plunge. The one thing that throws me off are the "traditional" style markers at 3,5,7,9, 12, as opposed to the "French" markers that are on most gypsy jazz guitars (5,7,10,12). When you had your 260, did this throw you off? Also the scale length is a bit shorter than the traditional selmer petit bouche correct? I believe it is at around 650mm. Does this drastically affect volume and tone?
  • nebraskagypsynebraskagypsy nebraskaNew
    i have a patenotte 256 made in 2004, very nice guitar, i just recently put it up on ebay starting at $700, the price is now up to $1000, it has 3 days left, check it out. after putting it up for auction i wanted to keep it, it has a vintage type feel to it, very unique, sounds and plays great. but i own a dell arte hommage, the hand made one, that blows it away in terms of tone and volume. so i have no need for the patenotte.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Mine had a 9th fret marker as well, but I simply had it moved to the 10th fret. A good repair guy can do it and make it all but invisible. The 258 has those big block fret markers so often seen on Favino Macias guitars, and they usually have a third-fret marker. MY old 260 is not listed under Michael's "previously sold", but I googled "Patenotte 260" and it came up. Michael measured it at 645mm.

Here's why I bought it: I was sitting at Jacques' house with my pal Ed McPhail playing just about everything Jacques had. We were playing two early 80's Favino's when I asked Jacques if I could try the Patenotte. He brought it out, and it simply killed both Favinos! Ed and I were astonished! I was there to try a '30's Busato that I ended up buying, so I had him throw the Patenotte into the deal. It was louder than the Favinos, had better tone than either (a really rich sound...go check out the video Michael put on YouTube). I couldn't pass it up. And I love Favinos, having two post-80's J.P's and a Jacques, but that little Patenotte was a monster! The two Favinos were exiled to Francois Charle's shop in Paris.

Now I have played a few Patenottes that were just ordinary, but if you get your hands on a good one, they can hang with the Big Dogs, and they have a certain panache. Scale length isn't the be-all-and-end-all. MIne was plenty loud!

I have quite a few vintage guitars, and what I love about Claude's best work is that you get real vintage tone in a modern guitar. It was a 1940's Louis Patenotte that got me hooked on vintage guitars in the first place. Claude's work is as good, and reputedly more consistent. But stay with the top models (260 or 258) for you best chance to get a giant-slayer.
  • dontanmandontanman ✭✭
    NebraskaGypsy- Thank you for the offer. 1000 seems a bit high for the 256. Most of them that I've seen floating around get about 800-900 tops. Best of luck with the sale though and thanks for the input.

Michael- Wow! What a story. I intend to go to Jacques' place when I am down in Maryland. It is practically a guitar museum. It seems like you have a pretty nice collection. For some reason, the Patenottes always have caught my eye. Especially the Oval Holes. I think its their slightly mishapen nature and the Enrico Macias Favino styled markers. The 258 does indeed remind me alot of that particular guitar (Maple back and sides, block markers). I have my eyes set on the 258 that Jacques currently has in stock. I appreciate your words on the subject. And if there are any 30's busatos that you get tired of playing, you can just send them my way free of charge...i'll even pay shipping! :mrgreen:

Thanks again guys
    Justin--

Good luck with the Patenotte. I hope it's a good one! And tell Jacques I said "hi". He's in Europe alot, so e-mail him if you can't reach him by phone. The 30's Busato is already living with another friend of mine here in Chicago. Best of both worlds: I still get to play it now and then, and it gave me some cash towards a Grand Modele Busato, which my friend Geoff Benge just finished putting back into fighting shape.

Let us know what happens, if you would.

Michael
  • dontanmandontanman ✭✭
    Just an update...Jacques has had the guitar on hold for around 2 weeks now for someone in Canada. He did not update the status of the guitar until he got back from France...bummer. :(:(