DjangoBooks.com

Olivier Marin for 671€?

spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
Hi guys,

I found this auction on ebay.de.

The guy sold Olivier Marin guitar for 671,00€. Is this for real? Can someone judge by pictures.

I didnt bid just because i wasnt sure it is a scam, but it is possible someone is very lucky.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... AA:US:3160

Comments

• rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    ...Looks like the real deal :shock:
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Sure, it's a Marin and a particularly nice one. So glad these things are still happening in the greedy-picking Era :-)
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Hardcover case included, ah! :D
  • spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
    i will eat myself. the guitar is probably worth over 2000... i woke up 15min after the auction ended....
  • spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
    i did bid, the day before, for 300€ and decided to wake up 5 min before the auction ends to see what will happen. and i slept over
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    That's nothing, check this one out: http://tinyurl.com/bq3oyyk
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Great: I always fancied a Maccaferri with Sypowicz face on the back! :D
  • PidaPida New
    I hope very much it's for real as I bought this guitar :-)

I've been playing acoustic guitar now exclusively for a few years, but I don't know much about Gypsy Jazz. But I'm interested in this style and bought Michael Horowitz' 'Gypsy Picking' and a German book just a few weeks ago and started playing.

Then I saw the Marin on eBay. I had never heard about his guitars before, but soon discovered OM is well known. I don't really need a Selmer style guitar (yet), but I knew high quality ones are very hard to come by in Germany. So I bid (not much more than I finally had to pay).

I was also afraid of a scam but took the risk because of the low price. I also picked it up myself.

The guitar is in good technical condition, but has quite a few dings and scratches. Fret wear shows it must have been used lot by an experienced player. The top is darker than the spruce tops on Olivier Marins website, as you can see on eBay. Apart from that, it looks just like his oval hole models.

frater, what do you think this is particularly nice about this one? The SKB case also is great, btw :-)
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Because the top, as you noted, has the aged dark look that comes naturally after awhile... plus the indian rosewood on the back looks very nice. Who cares about dings and scratches, it's a Gypsy Jazz guitar! Well done, enjoy it!

P.S.
    Oh, it's a SKB guitar case, eh? Of course! :D
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Congrats on the Marin! For the price it was an absolute steal!
    The top could be Cedar which Olivier uses a lot...