DjangoBooks.com

Playing at night

sjlsjl ✭✭
edited May 2012 in FAQ Posts: 31
Hi mates.
I want to practice at night without disturbing my neighbours.
Someone told me that I have to put a sock under the strings and recently I became aware about yamaha's silent guitars, but I don't know if these can be a good gipsy guitar sparring.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    Take a thick common-or-garden bathroom sponge, the densest you can find. With a stanley knife, cut a chunk 1 inch wide & about an inch wider than the space between your strings at the bridge.

Now make 6 5mm-deep cuts into the sponge so that the cuts correspond to each string. Fit it over your strings at the bridge.

Quite apart from the reduction in volume it makes it much easier to focus on even picking at high speeds.
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Or you could play heavy metal CDs full blast, then your guitar playing wouldn't disturb them at all.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Klaatu, you're a wonderful person, but I'm glad you don't live next door! :mrgreen:

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Well, you know most of the heavy metal guitarists claim Django as an influence, so there is a connection of sorts.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PerltonePerltone ✭✭✭
    I use the foam rubber on banjo and guitar by putting it under the strings touching the bridge, on the soundhole side. No need to cut string slots
  • matty42matty42 tyrone, pa✭✭✭
    klaatu wrote:
    Or you could play heavy metal CDs full blast, then your guitar playing wouldn't disturb them at all.

Very funny! :D