DjangoBooks.com

Vibrato

2»

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    CORRECTION - No actually I just tested it out and realize that I pull down on every string BUT the 1st string. then I do actually push upwards slightly. My second string can deal with pulling down a bit. If I get too boisterous with my vibrato, I can sometimes pull it off the board, but I do tend to pull if it's the 2nd string.
  • You guys had me looking at the way I really approach vibrato in the last couple of days. Anthony's explanation is pretty good.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Finger vibrato works better on unfretted instruments like the violin. You gotta get some wrt, arm, and elbow muscle n there. I have recently noticed how wide Stochelo's vibrato is - I have been too subtle.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    i am also having trouble getting the technique for a good "django" style vibrato. i always used to do them side to side, but the vibrato is too subtle and just doesn't cut it compared to the nice gypsy style like stochelo etc are getting. i can't seem to do it sharp enough or fast enough! are there any good youtube videos breaking down the technique?
  • Jake FisherJake Fisher Columbus, OhioNew
    anthon_74 wrote:
    Hey there,

Try pressing extra extra hard when doing your vibrato. I heard somewhere that this is the secret of great Django style vibrato, and it seems to work well for me. I press nearly as hard as I can when I'm doing Vibrato.

Anthony

This... at least on guitar anyway. This produces a very Django-esque sound. More specifically you press hard and vibrato very lightly, almost using more hand than finger.
    django%20banner.jpg