DjangoBooks.com

Etude Recordings

pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
edited February 2005 in Unaccompanied Django Posts: 245
Michael,

It would be great if you could record the 3 etudes with you playing and post them. I'd love to hear how you approach them.

-Paul
Reject the null hypothesis.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Etude #3 is the theme from Fappy's Reverie which is here:

http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/200 ... tml#000176

I'll post the other two soon!

'm
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    You can find something similar to Etude No 1 on Angelo Debarre's "Impromptu", and Etude No. 2 on the Ferre brothers' "Intersection"
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Michael wrote:
    Etude #3 is the theme from Fappy's Reverie

I have worked on Etude #3 some but now that I have seen the video, I'm spoiled, I want the darn whole thing 8). Any chance there is a transcription of the rest of it we could see?

Craig
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i remember the first time i heard that tune... i think it was on fapology... i just had to learn it... it's absolutely beautiful ...

my favorite part is when he goes to the F#m section , the E arpeggio then this beautiful passage incredibly beautiful passage before the recapitulation...

it's like a classical composition, stunning...

before anyone asks me, i dont have a written transcription for it, it's a pain in the ass to notate solo pieces in free time, hats off to michael for having the patience to do that
    Maybe one day I'll do a Unaccompanied Django volume 2. I'd like to write out the couple of Django pieces which I didn't do as well as a lot of ones by Fapy, Bireli, etc.

I'm the most proud of the Unaccompanied book and think it's by far the best learning resource for Django's musical chordal and melodic vocabulary. However, since it's not a method book it doesn't sell as much as the other books and it takes 20 times longer to write so it may be a while!

Glad you guys like it!

-Michael
    The unaccompanied book is not only my favorite resource for Django's music, but is, in my opinion, the best guitar study I have ever come across. I especially enjoy working with the Improvisation transcriptions, since they show how Django can endlessly play around with a theme or musical idea. After studying the improvisational pieces from your book I have found myself working Django's ideas into my Brazillian playing, since the chord progressions are often very similar.

I would love to attend your unaccompanied workshop, but they are always held on the west coast. Any chance you would ever do one in Florida? Or at least make it available as an online study?
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Hey Coopervery what part of Florida are you in?
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
    coopervery wrote:
    I would love to attend your unaccompanied workshop, but they are always held on the west coast. Any chance you would ever do one in Florida? Or at least make it available as an online study?

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately there aren't any Djangofests in the SE so I don't forsee doing anything down there in the near future. I think the closest I'll be is New York. Sorry....

However, I might make some of the materials I use for the workshop as an online lesson at some point.

thanks!

-Michael
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Michael,

When (and where) are you going to be in New York?
    Reject the null hypothesis.
    no definite plans at the moment. but i was born in nyc and most of my family lives there so i'm bound to be out there sooner or later. also, i'd like to go to the DFNE at some point. i was going to do it this year, but unfortunately it wasn't financially feasible.

it'd be fun to go to djangofest brooklyn...i spent a lot of my childhood with my family in coney island. would be nice to be part of gypsy jazz there!

i'll be out there sooner or later...

thanks for asking!

'm