DjangoBooks.com

Deconstructed, and arg.

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 1,471
That's arg, as in, wow, this is going to take some doing, and not arp, as in arpeggio.

Thrilled to have 40ish tunes in tow for DIJ, I knew coming back I'd have some work to do, on basic rhythm sound. Re-watching as much Hono as I can, and with Eric Lavergne's generous help, I'm finding my own zen koan in beginning anew, this time with careful listening and a much more exacting sense of what's on, and what's off.

A good pompe. Seems so simple, and so elusive. The Japanese concept of "stealing the mind" of masters...I so much admire the rhythm work of Kamlo, Eric, Adrian Holovaty, Jeff Radaich, Hono, Mathieu, Gonzalo, Denis...the list is endless. I was missing a good bass growl, evenness, sense of swing/bounce...and it feels like I never picked up a guitar before. Again. Downstroke only, new to me, feels stiff and mechanical, while capturing Hono's perfect, subtle upstroke with that impeccable swing, timing, utter relaxation.....let's just say y'all might see a slightly more demented babe in the woods by the time I feel like I''m on the right track.

DIJ was unbelievable. The only downside is that it now leaves me wanting for fellow players. I really feel for people who are truly orphaned. I'm grateful to at least be a couple hours' drive from Chicago. And otherwise, my webcam keystroke gets itchy.....

Incantations to channel the rhythm feel of the above, welcome.
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.