DjangoBooks.com

Translation Services and Help Required!!

SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
Can anyone give me a brief summary of Givone's comments on the Diminished and Whole Tone scales (i can't remember what pages they're on - I'm in the office...).

Also, what chords can I play these two scales over, apart from the obvious?

Thanks,

Sp

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    pg. 28: In the manouche style, we can play over diminished chords using simple arpeggio tones, or sometimes adding passing tones. The perfect symmetry of the diminished chord, which consists of three minor thirds, is important in improvising. For example, when playing over an F diminished chord, one can use the F dim arpeggio, the Ab dim, the B dim or the D dim. Examples one and two show the diminished arp in different positions. Find your place using the symmetry of the shape on the fretboard. All the following licks can be used over diminished chords.

pg. 29 upper grey box: Example three is a famous lick typical of Django's masterful style. Have fun! Example four is a turnaround that you can shift rhythmically. The last example allows you to roam all over the fretboard using a few non-chordal tones. (See the circled notes in ex. 5)

pg. 29 THE WHOLE TONE SCALE- Here's another symmetrical shape offering interesting possibilities for substitution. The whole tone scale divides an octave into six parts, each separated by one whole tone. You can use this scale over chords like the 7th, 7b5 and 7+. The fingering is fairly simple since one whole tone equals two frets, so this scale is pretty easy to find on the fingerboard. It repeats itself every two frets, so the C whole tone scale (C, D, E, F#, G#, A#, C) has the same notes as the D whole tone scale (D, E, F#, G#, A#, C, D) etc. So over a C7 chord, we can play a C whole tone scale, over a D7 chord we can play a D whole tone scale. Or we can play a C whole tone scale over a D7 chord, since it has the exact same notes as the D whole tone scale. This is made easier to visualize by the fact that the C whole tone scale begins on the 7th of the D7 chord.

p. 29 lower grey box: Here are two positions for the whole tone scale. The first shows the perfect symmetry mentioned before. The second shows another way to play the scale. This scale can be a little bit strange at first hearing, but it allows you to create some original phrases.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Lango, you're a star. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your efforts.

Sp
    Thankyuh, thankyuh verrymuch...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Less of the Elvis, please :lol:
    Damn! and people always tell me my Elvis impersonation is even better than my guitar playing!

It's the blue suede shoes that do it.

It's a bit queit around here. Do you think everyones's practicing their forms?
    Well, either that or perhaps, like me, they're taking a break from those @#$% forms and are working out of the "25 pieces" book... it's a nice change of pace. Have you seen it yet? Pretty cool... well, it's actually very similar to the sample pieces in the back of the first book.

I haven't seen it yet. I'm in the UK and it's hellish trying to get hold of these books over here without paying heavy postal rates - you might remember my wife had to get a work colleague's mother to buy Givone's original book in France and bring it back here.

I'm very keen to see it. I'm really impressed by Givones's way of teaching.

Sp
    I'd have thought it'd be easy to order French stuff to the UK? What's with that?

Nope. Tried Amazon.fr - one of the few places that actually had the book - and their supplier refused to ship to the UK. Don't know why. So, as I said earlier, my lovely wife bought it through them using her French work colleague's mother's adress for delivery and waited until the colleague visited home and collected it.

Then my wife was going to hold back the book until it was my actual birthday (July!), and I had to resort to pleading of the most pathetic kind until she relented.

So, G7 form, 7th fret... 1, 2, 3, 4.....

Sp