DjangoBooks.com

Oscar Aleman where have you been my whole life?

edited January 2013 in Welcome Posts: 37
I just discovered Oscar Aleman on Pandora in my Gypsy Jazz station... what a breath of fresh air! Something so light and refreshing about his playing...."you made me love you" is just amazing...

Anyone else a fan?
http://www.brycecreative.com design, illustration and fun!

Comments

• I really enjoy his playing. Verylyrical improviser
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Love his 'Alexander's Ragtime Band' , i'll have to upload to youtube one of these days
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    atracksler wrote:
    Anyone else a fan?

Oh YEAAHHH!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    atracksler wrote:

Anyone else a fan?
    YOU BETCHA!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Swing Guitar Masterpieces 2 disc set. About 48 songs 8)
    yeah, i think that is on my next "to-buy" list!
    http://www.brycecreative.com design, illustration and fun!
  • mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
    Yes! Pandora came through for me too. I heard his solo guitar version of Whisperin', which stopped me dead. It was like Django and Chet Atkins synthesized. To me recollection, Aleman has two tracks like this on the two cd set. Though there is overlap he covers a different collection of music than Django- Many Spanish language tunes, many unfamiliar. I am not wiiiild about his singing, but it isnt bad, per se, but verges on the ridiculous at times. Interesting, he is Indian and moved to Argentina. There is one track where his singing and in just one phrase he sounds like a classical Indian vocalist. His guitar has a distinctly different tone than Django.

+1 for Swing guitar masterpieces.

Cheers,
    Mike
  • He usually played a National tricone which would sound a lot different.
  • jlander9jlander9 ✭✭
    I am not wiiiild about his singing, but it isnt bad, per se, but verges on the ridiculous at times. Interesting, he is Indian and moved to Argentina. There is one track where his singing and in just one phrase he sounds like a classical Indian vocalist.

Aleman is not Indian. He is a Native Argentine. He is the son of a Toba Indian (indigenous) from El Chaco district in Argentina. Aleman was raised in a vaudeville family, the Moreira Sextet, and toured throughout Argentina, Brazil, and other Latin American countries.This influenced his singing style which is why his voice sounds so unique (and awesome!). Aleman not only played guitar but was an amazing dancer and singer. Also, unlike Django and other Gypsy Jazzers, he was a finger picker (crazy, right?) giving him a distinct sound . Check this clip out see it the whole way through and you'll see what I mean...
  • mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
    Thank you for the correction! I went from what my friend had read summed up from the liner notes but not having read them myself. I assumed he read it correctly. There I go, perpetuating false info!

I watched that same clip recently. Pretty wild! I wish he wore lighter color pants or the floor was a different color- his fanciful footwork is mostly lost in the lack of contrast!

Cheers,
    Mike