DjangoBooks.com

Oscar Aleman where have you been my whole life?

Comments

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Here is another video with lots photographs and clips of Aléman, you have to watch this one all the way through to see it all as well. The second video has him receiving an award and in tears near the end.

• When hw was bailing out of europe back home as the nazis took over france his national got confiscated as they supposedly wanted the metal for industrial purposes.

Probably just ripping him for his axe as he wasnt white.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PierrotPierrot New
    "unlike Django and other Gypsy Jazzers, he was a finger picker (crazy, right?)"

Ahem!
    Il n'y a pas d'amour heureux
  • jlander9jlander9 ✭✭
    Ahem!

:roll: haha! okay, okay,retraction! Unlike Django, which as far as I know was mostly a flat picker (and many other Gypsy Jazzer, not all), Aleman was a finger picker.... :D
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    I'm a huge Oscar Aleman fan - I was actually personally offended by the derisive comments of Ivor Mairants in his otherwise great book on the development of jazz guitar. He was such a fan of Django.... how could you not dig Aleman? I also love the humor in Aleman's music - reminds me of Stuff Smith and Fats Waller. I recall there was some talk of an Aleman book in the works on the forums here a year or so ago. I've been out of circulation for a while - was it completed? Can I buy it?
  • Unfortunately not done .... dont hold your breath methinks
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    I'll just cross my fingers then... I'd love to get some insight into how he played fingerstyle.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    oldsouth wrote:
    I'd love to get some insight into how he played fingerstyle.
    Did he really play fingerstyle? I got the impression that he used a thumbpick pretty much like a flatpick.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    i also believe he used a thumb pick.

why was he called aleman (german), BTW?
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    Ah, that makes sense! I thought it sounded like a plectrum. I also use a thumbpick so my fingers are free for syncopation, double stops, octaves and such... this makes me even more curious!