DjangoBooks.com

AJL XO, Dupont MD 50 or MD 50B?

Hi guys,

I am looking at immersing myself into playing gypsy jazz (have played other styles, rock/blues/jazz on electric/accoustic). I owned a Gitane D500, sold it a while back and would like to get back into that style with a good instrument.

I am looking for easy to play, not too trebly/banjo-esque but round with enough warmth. I am also looking for oval hole as opposed to D hole (I find the latter harder to play).

The 3 choices available are basically:
- AJL XO
- Dupont MD 50
- Dupont MD 50B

What would you guys say? My guess is a portion of this choice is a trade-off between established name (Dupont) and maybe better features for cheaper (AJL). Don't go saying that I am cutting down Dupont, I am simply assuming there is a markup associated to a Dupont.

Those are pretty classic model and I am kinda looking for pointers as I will most likely buy online. Not looking at more expensive as I am already stretching my budget, but I want a nice keeper, as opposed to a starter one, so not looking at cheap deal either. While fairly new to gypsy style, I have been playing guitar for a solid 10yrs.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    not too trebly/banjo-esque but round with enough warmth

I'd go with the AJL based on that criteria, out of those choices it fits the bill, I recommend PM'ing Mr Horowitz, there may be more 'warm' sounding guitars to choose from
  • jeff562jeff562 ✭✭
    The AJL is a incredible guitar.

Jeff
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i think some of those guitars belonged to my student who bought over 50 gypsy guitars in the past few months alone... he's just buying a whole bunch to find the "one"... i'm surprised he's selling the AJL as he and I both really love it.. it's pretty much exactly like the one I use... if the MD 50 is the one that he owned, it's a nice guitar too , but he had so many that it was hard to keep track... the Hahl that he sold through this site was pretty amazing too